VMware Server and ISA2006

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Server and ISA2006

Hi, have installed vmware server on a W2k3 box with isa2006 running on it. I have ceated a virtual guest (bridged adapter) and can rdp to virtual device while on LAN but not while using VPN connection. The error says device cannot be found but i can rdp to other devices. Logs do not show any connection errors. Is ISA 2006 to blame? and is it reccommended to have VMWare server on the same box as ISA?

any help is appreciated

Re: VMware Server and ISA2006

AFAIK, its not a recommended practice to install any virtualization software on a server running ISA 2006. U can try using VMWare Server which is completely free in a different server
    MCSE : Windows Server 2003

Comment

Originally posted by lambchop View Post
      Hi, have installed vmware server on a W2k3 box with isa2006 running on it. I have ceated a virtual guest (bridged adapter) and can rdp to virtual device while on LAN but not while using VPN connection. The error says device cannot be found but i can rdp to other devices. Logs do not show any connection errors. Is ISA 2006 to blame? and is it reccommended to have VMWare server on the same box as ISA?

any help is appreciated
      ISA servers are multihomed by nature. Assuming your ISA server has a public internet facing NIC and a private LAN facing NIC. Which pNIC adapter on the ISA server is the bridged adapter?

Jas
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

The Public NIC is excluded from any bridging. The VMWare server is bridged to the internal NIC.

Comment

The Public NIC is excluded from any bridging. The VMWare server is bridged to the internal NIC.
          If your VPN endpoint is behind the ISA firewall, this should work. Over the VPN connection can you ping the IP address of the VM you are trying to RDP to?

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Unfortunately not. The VPN endpoint is the server that ISA resides on. I can ping anything on the network apart from the VM. I cannot even see the ping requests to the VM on the ISA server but I see ping requests to anything else using ISA monitoring.

Comment

any help is appreciated
              Two places to look.

First, ISA comes with built-in restriction on what networks/machines can RDP into the machine itself. If you go to Access Rules, there's a task called 'system config' or something similar.

Second, you may also need an access rule which allow traffic to pass from VPN -> *Localhost*

Cheers,
              A
              Last edited by bunce; 24th May 2008, 05:43.

Comment

Working...
              X