Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualisation Newbie

Hi,
    I have a SAN and wish to convert all my physical servers to virtual servers. One thing I cant get round is that do I need a physical network card in the san for every virtual server? ie, my users need to be able to access each server independantly.. ie each server has it's own I.P address... can someone explain to me how to do this.. I have 2 servers set up in a test environment and cannot get my users to see both the servers.

thanks
    Craig.
    Last edited by cjonline; 11th April 2008, 11:52.

Re: Virtualisation Newbie

since the telepaths are on vacation, can you give some details, as to what virtualization software you are using, what is the storage topology like, how the VMs are set up etc?
    ________
    EASY VAPE
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:30.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Sorry, in my test evironment I have 2 windows 2003 server vmware server vm's on my host machine that has 1 network card installed. I've got both server's running.. both are set to bridged mode.. only one of the vm's can see the outside word.. the other cant.

thanks.

Comment

1 nic is enough unless you are sending/receiving lots of data. It seems likely there is a config issue with the second server if the first is working. VMware server supports multiple VMs on a single nic.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          1 nic is enough unless you are sending/receiving lots of data. It seems likely there is a config issue with the second server if the first is working. VMware server supports multiple VMs on a single nic.
          can you tell me how to achieve this.. I have set both vm's to BRIDGED mode but to no avail!!!

C

Comment

Well.. It should work already is probably the least useful thing I can think of.
            If the host and guests have been rebooted then try changing the type from bridged to NAT or host only then back again. Obviously things like checking IP and so forth. Can it ping itself? If you stop the other server does it work?
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
            X