VMware on Linux or Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware on Linux or Windows

I have few Windows 2003 servers and trying to put them all on a VMWare server.

My question is should I use my base OS Linux for reliability?
    ________
    justin bieber
    Last edited by smartcard; 25th January 2011, 03:34.

Re: VMware on Linux or Windows

Well that is a question...
    I've never had a problem with windows for VMs but if you know linux then I don't see a problem with that. In theory you can get a smaller memory and processor footprint from linux than windows so there may be more for you VMs.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Well that is a question...
      I've never had a problem with windows for VMs but if you know linux then I don't see a problem with that. In theory you can get a smaller memory and processor footprint from linux than windows so there may be more for you VMs.
      No, I don't know Linux as much as I know Windows. So better stick to the Windows
      ________
      extreme vaporizer
      Last edited by smartcard; 25th January 2011, 03:34.

Comment

Linux host versus Windows host is a debate similiar to politics or religion. There's really no right or wrong answer. It's up to you to decide.

Stick with the host OS you are most comfortable with and can support the best.

Properly built and maintained, Linux is no more stable that Windows, and vise versa.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
          Linux host versus Windows host is a debate similiar to politics or religion. There's really no right or wrong answer. It's up to you to decide.

Stick with the host OS you are most comfortable with and can support the best.
          well said

Properly built and maintained, Linux is no more stable that Windows, and vise versa.
          really?
          ________
          Hero passion
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:28.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Virtualisation is all about resources, and you can't beat Linux when it comes down to being able to cut down the host OS to the minimum resource usage, so that more is left for the guests.

and windows is known to be a resource guzzler.

If your hardware supports virtualisation, go for CentOS (because it's a clone of RHEL) and XEN or KVM.
            but only if you know what you are doing, don't expect mouse-clicking to be the main part of the setup.
            ________
            IPAD GAMES
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:28.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

There are two answers to this:

First of all if you will run Vmware server, run it on Linux ALL THE WAY, as long as you feel comfortable with it. If you end up with a problem you are not able to fix on the host, your guests are gone !

Second of all, Use a real version of vmware infrastructure ! They have a starter edition now that is not much more costly than buying a Windows license to run on your host. (Well, I guess you are running Enterprise which includes 1physical + 4vm licenses though..)
              VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Originally posted by gepeto View Post
                There are two answers to this:
                Second of all, Use a real version of vmware infrastructure ! They have a starter edition now that is not much more costly than buying a Windows license to run on your host. (Well, I guess you are running Enterprise which includes 1physical + 4vm licenses though..)
                Tks for this hints. I was planing to use the free version of the VMware server http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
                ________
                marijuana sativa
                Last edited by smartcard; 25th January 2011, 03:35.

Comment

For reliability use ESX server instead.
                  MCSE 2003, CCNA, VCP, ITIL Foundation

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen, while it is admirable to suggest ESX (notice I did not say ESX Server - VMware dropped server and 3i from the ESX name this past week), ESX brings with it its own set of significant circumstances that must be dealt with:

1. Cost
                    2. Compatibility with hardware (our OP may be using a whitebox which doesn't run ESX)
                    3. SCSI Storage considerations
                    4. Scalability

Also I do not think it is fair to tag ESX as "reliable" which suggests VMware Server is not reliable. That is not the case. These are two similar but very different products purposed for different environments and situations. If you want to discuss unreliable or non-existent virtualization offerings, or virtualization offerings which severely lack competitive feature sets, I suggest visiting the following vendor's websites: Microsoft, Citrix, Oracle, and Novell.

Jas
                    Last edited by jasonboche; 9th April 2008, 23:28.
                    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

ESX Server is all about HA and VMotion.
                      VMWare Server is all about Testing.

You cannot compare both products.
                      MCSE : Windows Server 2003

Comment

Working...
                      X