Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to VMWare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New to VMWare

    Hi Guys,

    I'm new to VMWare and would appreciate some thoughts on what's the best thing for me to do.

    I have several small, old servers running different applications, one of these servers is also a domain controller (BDC in old talk!)

    I have bought a HP DL350 with twin processors and 8GB RAM, so I can run several virtual servers to replace the small old ones using VMWare. The OS is Server 2003 R2 enterprise edition with SP2.

    The question is, do I also create a virtual server to replace the server that's my existing domain controller, or do I run the new server with the Domain Controller on the host OS and then create the virtual servers just for the applications that were on the old servers?

    Thanks

    Phil C

  • #2
    Re: New to VMWare

    VMWare cannot be a host OS for a DC. well, actually it can, but it's not a good idea to try that
    ________
    Vapor Genie
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:23.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

    BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New to VMWare

      Also, don't try to double up your Host OS as a domain controller. Have one physical server as domain controller, and one physical server as your VM host.

      //ignore - sorry I misread Dy's post.


      Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

      Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New to VMWare

        Originally posted by Phil_C View Post
        Hi Guys,
        Hi buddy!

        Originally posted by Phil_C View Post
        I'm new to VMWare and would appreciate some thoughts on what's the best thing for me to do.
        Sure no problem!

        Originally posted by Phil_C View Post
        I have several small, old servers running different applications, one of these servers is also a domain controller (BDC in old talk!)
        BDC?! Holy Cow! It's NT4, run for the hills! Save yourselves!

        Originally posted by Phil_C View Post
        I have bought a HP DL350 with twin processors and 8GB RAM, so I can run several virtual servers to replace the small old ones using VMWare. The OS is Server 2003 R2 enterprise edition with SP2.
        Now we're talkin!

        Originally posted by Phil_C View Post
        The question is, do I also create a virtual server to replace the server that's my existing domain controller, or do I run the new server with the Domain Controller on the host OS and then create the virtual servers just for the applications that were on the old servers?
        Do not use your new host to act as a DC and also run VMware Server. Rather, run the DC as a virtualized guest VM. DCs run great as guest virtual machines. I run several myself. The one thing you want to watch out for is that you don't use VMware Tools to synchronize the VM guest DC with the host clock. Rather let the Windows Time service and Active Directory take care of this, otherwise you could end up with Kerberos authentication problems due to clock drift > 5 minutes apart.

        Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New to VMWare

          Thanks for the answers, guys, I appreciate it.

          I've always thought that important roles such as Domain Controllers, DHCP & DNS should be on physical rather than virtual servers, but was prepared to try the virtual route if other people said it was a good idea.

          In view of your comments, it seems to me that you think the same thing as me about keeping DC roles off a virtual server, so I'm now going to use another physical server as my Second Domain Controller (why can't Microsoft admit it's still a BDC!) and just keep the new server as the VM host.

          Also, I don't want authentication issues, so I avoid them this way. Isn't life easy when you make it so!!!!

          Once again, thanks for your help.

          Phil C

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New to VMWare

            Originally posted by Phil_C View Post
            Thanks for the answers, guys, I appreciate it.

            I've always thought that important roles such as Domain Controllers, DHCP & DNS should be on physical rather than virtual servers, but was prepared to try the virtual route if other people said it was a good idea.

            In view of your comments, it seems to me that you think the same thing as me about keeping DC roles off a virtual server, so I'm now going to use another physical server as my Second Domain Controller (why can't Microsoft admit it's still a BDC!) and just keep the new server as the VM host.

            Also, I don't want authentication issues, so I avoid them this way. Isn't life easy when you make it so!!!!

            Once again, thanks for your help.

            Phil C

            That's not what I said at all. I run many Domain Controllers inside of VMs. What I said is don't install a VMware virtualization hypervisor on a physical server running as a domain controller. Use your powerful physical server as they hypervisor platform, and run all the other servers that you can as VMs on that host.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New to VMWare

              (why can't Microsoft admit it's still a BDC!)
              Because it isn't one, it's fundamentally different. For a start, BDCs were read only. For a second thing, NT4 Domains were single-master in ALL THINGS, and BDCs were merely local replicas to ease authentication. "Difficult" requests such as authenticating users who have just changed their passwords were ALWAYS referred to the PDC, over your shiny new 128K link. Active Directory domains are multiple-master affairs for almost all things, with only 5 functions being single-master (the 5 FSMO roles). Password changes are updated on your local DC, which then authenticates you...

              Nope... not a BDC in almost ANY way.


              Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

              Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New to VMWare

                Phil_C will be happy to know that the BDC will make an encore appearance in Windows 2008 (well sort of). Read Only Domain Controllers. Yay! Deploy them to your heart's content Phil_C. We won't tell anyone.
                VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

                Comment

                Working...
                X