Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copying files from virtual server in test lab

Hello,
    We have a separate test network in our ESX environment, the network is not connected to out live network. I need to copy files from one of the servers in test network onto my workstation that has VC client installed. I tried using floppy emulator but no luck, can someone think of a utility that will allow me to copy big files from test network to my workstation, not allowed to connect the workstation in test network.

I have no problem copying files into virtual test network by converting the files into ISO format.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Re: copying files from virtual server in test lab

Do you have a CDRW on the host machine? If so, you could probably install CD burning software in the VM and burn the files to the host machine CDRW. If not, you could get an external USB CDRW and connect it to the host machine and do the same as above.

Comment

you can also use a flash drive if you have one.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

you dont even need burning software for this just drag and drop if you have a burner. external drives are better though.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Do you have a CDRW on the host machine? If so, you could probably install CD burning software in the VM and burn the files to the host machine CDRW.
          That is not possible for 2 reasons
          1. You're not going to use an ESX host to burn a CD
          2. The CDROM inside a VM is virtualized and can't be used as a pass-thru burner to the host

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          If not, you could get an external USB CDRW and connect it to the host machine and do the same as above.
          USB and ESX are like oil and water. They don't mix.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by pfunck View Post
            Hello,
            We have a separate test network in our ESX environment, the network is not connected to out live network. I need to copy files from one of the servers in test network onto my workstation that has VC client installed. I tried using floppy emulator but no luck, can someone think of a utility that will allow me to copy big files from test network to my workstation, not allowed to connect the workstation in test network.

I have no problem copying files into virtual test network by converting the files into ISO format.

Thank you in advance for your help!
            Please phrase your question better so I get a clear picture of your environment. When I first read your post, I assumed 2 isolated ESX host, one on a production network, one on a private lab network. The second time I read your post, it sounds like you have only one ESX host, bridging multiple networks: production and non-production. This configuration doesn't make much sense conceptually because the bridging of the two networks heavily violates the core principle of having two separate (but connected) networks.

There are methods to get done what you want done but I need to learn your environment correctly first.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
              you can also use a flash drive if you have one.
              Your homework for the evening is to successfully migrate an ESX VM off a VMFS-3 volume to a USB drive plugged into the ESX host and provide the OP with the detailed steps.

Comment

can't you map a USB drive using Raw Device Mapping? it should be detected under ESX, can be formatted as fat32 for compatibility mounted in /mnt, and attached to the VM using RDM
                ________
                VAPORGENIE
                Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:18.
                Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                  can't you map a USB drive using Raw Device Mapping? it should be detected under ESX, can be formatted as fat32 for compatibility mounted in /mnt, and attached to the VM using RDM
                  I assume pfunck is talking about migrating .vmdk files from a VMFS volume in which case RDM won't be helpful but without more information from him/her, we're speculating.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, hopefully I will do a better job of explaining my situation this time around:

1. 2- ESX host- 2-networks:

Network 1 connects to our live network-
                    Network 2 connects to our test environment within ESX- The test network has it own AD setup:

Here is my problem/situation:

One of the developers has created some programs in the test network. He would like us to copy those files into his private drive on the live network. How do I go about getting his files?

Thank you again for your suggestions:
                    Pfunck!!!

Comment

So the data is on a VM inside a test ESX host

Is the test network completely virtual within the ESX host? In other words, the ESX hosts(s) hosting the test network do or do not have outbound VMNICs connected to a physical network switch?

How large is the data to be copied?

Comment

So the data is on a VM inside a test ESX host

Yes it is on a VM inside test ESX

Is the test network completely virtual within the ESX host? In other words, the ESX hosts(s) hosting the test network do or do not have outbound VMNICs connected to a physical network switch?

Yes the test network is completely inside ESX host, no outbound NICs!

How large is the data to be copied?

The most important data is one file, excel few KB, then I need to copy another 200MB.

Thank You,
                        Pfunck

Comment

Your ESX server has no outbound NIC (no physical network connectivity externally)

How do you access or use the VM without network connectivity? Don't you have the Virtual Infrastructure Client installed somewhere that can access the ESX host? In theory, all you have from an input/output device is the service console and it's keyboard and mouse. This makes it fairly difficult to move data off.

I think I'm still missing something about your configuration.

Jas

Comment

jasonboche
                            Thank you for your response:

Your ESX server has no outbound NIC (no physical network connectivity externally)

My test environment is isolated not ESX host, I can access my test envrionment through VIC:

Sorry guys I had to post the same question on Vmware forum yesterday and I got following answer, I think this suggestion will work:

"Add a new virtual disk file (.vmdk) to the isolated VM. Copy the data you want over to it, shut down the isolated VM Remove the newly added virtual disk drive (or just leave the VM powered off). Add a new virtual disk drive to your exposed VM and select to use an existing disk file - browse to your newly created .vmdk. Power up the exposed VM and have fun."

If you can come up with different answer please feel to make the suggestion:

Thank You,
                            Pfunck

Comment

We didn't communicate well. I'll take 50% of the blame. Perhaps next time. I'm glad you got your question answered.

Comment

Working...
                              X