Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VM WS 6: I have 2 snapshots but 138 files *.vmdk. Is it possible to merge them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM WS 6: I have 2 snapshots but 138 files *.vmdk. Is it possible to merge them?

I am using a virtual machine, running Windows 2000 and created by VM Workstation 6. In this machine there is a preallocated disk of 2.9 GB and a non-preallocated disk of 2 GB. In the last weeks I have created a tree of about 10 snapshots to test the installation procedure of some utility. Now I have deleted 8 snapshots, but in the snapshots directory there are again 138 files *.vmdk. Their size spans from 1 kB to 2GB. I think these files are incremental recording of modification taken starting from a snapshot. Total directory size is about 16 GB. All works ok.

I would like to know if it is possible to create, starting from this "fragmented" structure, two snapshots that use only 4-6 files, i.e. is it possible to transform a snapshot made by many "incremental" files in a complete snapshot made by 2-3 files ?

Many thanks in advance

Francesco

Re: VM WS 6: I have 2 snapshots but 138 files *.vmdk. Is it possible to merge them?

Hi Francesco,
    Have you tried defragmenting your virtual disk?
    You can do this by -> shutdown the VM, go to your virtual disk, utilities, choose defragment.
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Re: VM WS 6: I have 2 snapshots but 138 files *.vmdk. Is it possible to merge them?

Yes. I have tried, but the number of files does not decrease.

Francesco

Comment

Thanks to Google, I think that I have found the answer. Please see:

VMware Server how-to: Clean up snapshot files to free disk space
        (which applies to Workstation too)
        David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
        Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
        TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
        Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Many thanks for your message. I read the workaround you find on google, but I find it very elaborated. I'll wait for a simpler solution ....

Francesco

Comment

Originally posted by fpdimaio View Post
            I would like to know if it is possible to create, starting from this "fragmented" structure, two snapshots that use only 4-6 files, i.e. is it possible to transform a snapshot made by many "incremental" files in a complete snapshot made by 2-3 files ?
            No.

The "snapshot tree" as you call it is an intricate structure of dependencies, simliar to an incremental tape backup structure if you are familiar with tape backup technologies. In short, if you remove any one piece of the structure, it causes irreparable damage.

Another example would be if you wanted to create a stripped down version of the Windows operating system and your method was to simply go out to the \windows\system32\ directory and randomly start deleting .DLL and .EXE files. The OS would not work properly with this approach.

Jas
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Obviously, I don't want to delete randomly files in snapshot directory.
              Taking your example of backup, I would reconstract a full backup starting from incremental parts. Conceptually, this could be done in 2 steps:
              1) restoring the system using the incremental backup;
              2) backup the restored system using a non-incremental backup.

How this can be applied to VM snapshots ?

Francesco

Comment

You're limited to using the snapshot manager from within VMware.
                VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                X