Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I run ESX 3.0.2 inside VMWare Workstation6 on my XP PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run ESX 3.0.2 inside VMWare Workstation6 on my XP PC?

Hi,

I have a brand new dual core, 4gb PC.
    Can I run ESX 3.0.2 inside VMWare Workstation6 on my XP PC?
    For learning purpose.

Johny.

Re: Can I run ESX 3.0.2 inside VMWare Workstation6 on my XP PC?

no. ESX is the host OS in this example.

ESX is aware of the VMWare environment and it will not allow you to continue.

we have had several discussions on that here before... unfortunalty i cant remember the thread title, cause i just went thru 4 pages and cant locate it.

but long story short, you dont want to virtualize a virtual product.

James
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Johny,

It does look like there are ways to run ESX under Workstation 6. I imagine it will run badly but if you are using it to become familiar with ESX it should be ok. Here is a link to a site with step by step directions:

http://www.virtualization.info/2007/...on-vmware.html

If you set this up please post back and let us know how it works (i.e. How bad is the performance)

Good Luck
      Rob

Comment

Yeah, actually you CAN run ESX inside of Workstation, but there are a few variables that need to align perfectly to allow it to work and to also perform well. For example, if you meet the software requirements, you can follow the procedure Rob linked to, however, if you don't meet the specific CPU requirements, it will run insanely slow. However, if you do meet the CPU requirements, it will run very well and it makes for a great traveling laptop demo of VirtualInfrastructure. You can even add a NAS or ISCSI VM such as rPath Openfiler Linux so that you can have shared storage and 2 ESX hosts. This will allow you to test all of the enterprise class features of VI such as DRS, HA, VMotion, DPM (experimental only, not for prod), etc. assuming you've got the proper licenses.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

HI,

I just follow the step by step from following site and its a great instructions.

http://www.xtravirt.com/index.php?op...fileinfo&id=11

I managed to run 2 ESX and SAN (Openfiler) on my Laptop but i couldn't find the way to test vmotion and HA because not enough license error for trying to add VM's on to ESX?

Any Ideas?
          AusNetIT Solutions

Web Design | Web Hosting | SEO | IT Support

Comment

Yes. Buy ESX and buy licenses for VMs. It sounds to me like you're trying to run it OTHER THAN in accordance with the licensing agreement.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

You don't have to buy, you can get an evaluation license for at least 30 days that can be downloaded from vmware in version 3.5 and the 60 day evaluation license is available built-in..

You will not be able to run 3.5 in workstation though, it just does not work...

HA and VMotion is possible, on workstation, you will need to add more than one nic per ESX host and the license of course with a Virtual Center to manage it all...
              Maish
              ----------------------------------------------------------
              Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
              VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
              MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
              A proud husband and father of 3 girls
              ----------------------------------------------------------
              If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
              X