Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing ESX on SATA drives

Hi,

I have a brand new Dual Core PC with 4gb ram with SATA drive. Is it possible to install ESX server on this PC?

Thanks,
    Johny.

Re: Installing ESX on SATA drives

Yes you can install it but I would only use it as a test environment. Our ESX Servers at my place of work have quad CPUs and 32Gb RAM, they use HDS Tier 2 SAN storage for the non-OS drives and Ultra-Wide SCSI320 physical drives running at 15,000rpm for the OS (on those that don't also use the SAN for this). They also have dual gigabit Ethernet NICs. These are happily running up to about 15 VMs each. You simply cannot throw enough power and RAM at ESX servers - and I suspect you haven't got enough there to get good performance. Further to this, you do know that ESX does NOT run on top of Windows, but installs on "bare metal", right?
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 3rd March 2008, 12:56.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

p.s. when you say PC, I hope you mean "server". PC motherboards are simply not optimised for this resource-hungry type of application - I would be surprised if you got more than 2 VMs running under ESX with acceptable performance on a workstation.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

IT is a PC itself, but a bit powerful. I want to install ESX for learning purpose, not to run more and more VMs at the same time.

My doubt was whether you can install ESX on SATA drives, and of course to the bare metal !

Please reply.

Johny.

Comment

I'm not sure whether there is a limitation on what type of drive you can use... I'll ask.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by VMWare dot Com
            VMware ESX Server Software delivers high performance I/O for PCI-based SCSI, RAID, Fibre Channel, and Ethernet controllers.
            Check out the VMWare I/O Compatibility Guide for more information.

Tom

Comment

You can install ESX on IDE drives if you want to. Not that it will do you much good other than giving you a stripped down version of RHEL3 to mess around with.

The question you meant to ask was "Will the VMware ESX Server VMKernel see my SATA drives and SATA controller as SCSI so that I may use them for DataStore .vmdk storage?"

The answer is in the hardware compatibility documentation located here:
              http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/v...i_pubs_35.html

The good news is that lately there are a lot more supported SATA configurations that we had previously. RTFM.
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X