Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting the ESX 3.5 server

Hi,

I am new to this subject so bare with me.
    How do you protect an physical ESX 3.5 server from disaster without buying software?
    Can you give me an working step by step?

Thanks

Re: Protecting the ESX 3.5 server

I am not sure i follow your question...

How do you protect an ESX server from disaster without buying software...?

You could copy the install CD's, the license code, and backup all VM's nightly to offsite tape. If you had a disaster, you could reinstall the server, the license, and restore the VM's. This is, of course, the traditional approach.

What is it that you are looking for?

Thanks
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

We have the VMware ESX software 3.5 and it is licensed.
      we need to have some DR inplace for thes ESX server and I was wondering, how to incase of an disaster get this esx server back.

Thanks

Comment

There are a lot of options here.

Here are just some of them:
        1. you could run a traditional linux BU client in the ESX service console, write a script that would shutdown the VMs, back them up from the VMFS, and send that over to your BU server.
        2. you could use VMware's VCB to do image or file level backups, then backup the VCB server with a BU client (your current backup software provider may have VCB integration scripts or instructions on how to backup vmware)
        3. you could use traditional BU clients in the guest VMs and just plan on reinstalling your ESX server, then restoring the guests.
        4. look at: esxpress & Vizioncore's vranger as they do differential level backups.

If you want "simple", I would go with a product like esxpress or vranger or use your current backup provider's instructions on interfacing with VCB.

HTH,
        david

Comment

My employer wants to use backup agent to backup the VM(s) so it comes down to safe guard the esx servers but does not want to use products like visioncore.
          He wants to be cheap. Any suggestions other then writting a script?
          Could I not copy the config files to an network location?

Comment

With ESX Server - The only reason you can't just copy the files to a share is because Windows doesn't have access to the files. The VMDK and VMX files (what makes up the guest machines) are stored in the VMFS file system - not accessible by Windows.

It is, however, accessible by the service console with the full ESX Server (not 3i).

Do you have VCB? While you would still have to write a script, the end result of VCB is that the files would be on a Windows server, across the network, accomplishing your goal.

Take a look at these articles I wrote:
            VCB Frequently Asked Questions
            VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) utilities
            What you need to know about VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB)

And this one too:
            VMware ESX Virtual Machine Backup Guide

Comment

Originally posted by VMNightmare View Post
              My employer wants to use backup agent to backup the VM(s) so it comes down to safe guard the esx servers but does not want to use products like visioncore.
              He wants to be cheap.
              Not a good attitude to take towards an enterprise class virtual infrastructure. They will get out of it what they put into it. Does your ESX server have only 1 power supply also to save $200?

A few hundred dollars spent on the appropriate software and hardware could be worth thousands or millions in a disaster recovery situation.

As long as we're talking DR and Vizioncore, I'll also throw in Vizioncore vReplicator - a utility to make hot replicas of running VMs.

Jas
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Generally it is possible to use linux native tools like dd, cpio and rsync for backup on ESX
                ________
                Volcano Digital
                Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:07.
                Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
                X