Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uninterrupted power supply unit <-> ESX Host

Hello,

Im looking for a intelligent solution to manage ESX hosts with an uninterrupted power supply unit.
    My problem is, that i work with two ESX hosts in different locations an different UPS. I havent a client to to trigger the ESX host, which start to shutdown vServers when power loss. The manufactur havent a client for that.

i get a client, which can shutdown a vServer directly (for windows systems). But this is a big effort to manage all the server, because in case of DRS, maintenance etc i have to check all time all vServers on which host they are running in the moment and change the ups clients...

How do you manage this? Are there some third party products they supporting VmWare?

Thanks in advanced for all ideas you have
    Last edited by mube; 22nd February 2008, 11:02.

Re: uninterrupted power supply unit &lt;-&gt; ESX Host

How is the client shutting down VMs? Are you using native VMware APIs in a script?

Instead of shutting down the guests, you could configure ESX to auto shutdown the guests on a host shutdown, then configure your UPS script on the client to just shut down the ESX host which will in turn shut down the guests and the host.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Jas

i'm looking for a solution that esx host shutdown the guests. my problem is, i have different ups. any without a interface to configure shutdown parameters...

are there any esx compatible products to monitor power status which i can use?

Comment

I'm pretty sure APC PowerCute would work. Of course that means installing it in the ESX Service Console (COS). Always give that careful consideration.

Jas
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X