Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware ESX Server SAN - Wasabi or Open-E

Hi there!

I am about to build a production SAN for VMWare ESX Server 3.5 and was wondering if anyone had had any experience with either Wasabi or Open-E products, at this stage I am leaning towards Wasabi.

Re: VMware ESX Server SAN - Wasabi or Open-E

Sorry no.

HP only here. Along with Openfiler and Fedora Core 4,5,6 ISCSI
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

How is openfiler working out for you?

Comment

Fedora Core 4, 5, and 6 were all bad - had a lot of file corruption/instability which is no good for this application.

Openfiler has been wonderful. I'm not sure why (I think it had something to do with the operfiler version of YUM updates - I forget the YUM replacement in openfiler), but the first time I installed it on a SMP box, I came across a bug where whenever I rebooted Openfiler, it lost its SMP ISCSI Enterprise Target (IET) and SMP kernel files. It was the weirdest thing. So when that happened, I'd reboot it into SMP mode but IET wouldn't load because it was missing SMP kernel components plus some of the SMP IET components. Of course without IET running, we have no ISCSI targets and with no ISCSI targets, we have no VMFS or running VMs for ESX.

The short term resolution was to reboot openfiler into single processor (non-SMP) mode from the GRUB menu. All the non-SMP IET and kernel files are in place and functional.

The medium term resolution was I found exactly what files I needed to copy back over each time I rebooted and lost my SMP IET and kernel files.

The long term resolution was I rebuilt my Openfiler server and haven't seen this issue since.

I highly recommend rPath Openfiler as a free NAS/ISCSI box. It has been solid as a rock in terms of uptime and stability. It has never dropped my VMs whereas Fedora Core constantly did which lead to .vmdk corruption then there is no joy left in life.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Well my Wasabi Module is on it's way. I am installing it into an Intel SSR212MC2R storage server, so I will let you know how it goes!

Comment

Hi,

I'd def be interested in knowing how you get along with Wasabi.

Also what's the spec of the machine you're going to run?

Ray

Comment

Working...
            X