Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidated backup

Hi,

We are working with ESX 3.5 on local HD.

I would like to install Consolidated backup. I have a Netapp Storage working with ISCSI.

My questions:
    Is it possible to Install and configure Consolidated backup for the current configuration ?

I have a spare NIC. How do I configure ISCSI for ESX to see the NETAPP ?

How do I install the Consolidated backup ?

How do I configure Consolidated backup after installation ?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Consolidated backup

I'm not a user of VCB yet but I'll be getting into it this spring.

Is it possible to Install and configure Consolidated backup for the current configuration ?
    Going by memory here, I want to say VCB only works with SAN based storage, no ISCSI, no NAS.

I have a spare NIC. How do I configure ISCSI for ESX to see the NETAPP ?
    Well there are multiple steps. Create a VMKernel port, assign an IP address/gateway, and assign to a portgroup. Enable the SWISCSI service on the firewall so ISCSI communication can traverse the correct TCP/IP ports as needed. Then enable the VMware SWISCSI VMHBA40 adapter and configure it to use the VMKernel portgroup you just created and point it at your NETAPP NAS. Be sure to mind the CHAP authentication settings if you have those. After VMware sees your NETAPP storage, carve your luns and format VMFS3.

How do I install the Consolidated backup ?
    Download the executable for VCB and install it on a Windows VCB proxy server.

How do I configure Consolidated backup after installation ?
    There are some embedded VCB commands but VCB integrates with most popular Enterprise backup solutions (Symantec, Arcserv, Tivoli, etc.) so they would usually initiate the VCB proxy commands.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
    X