Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC Connection Problem

Hi,
    I am using Virtual Infrastructure Server version 2.01 to connect to my Win2k3 Host servers that is running Vmware Server 1.04 that I have a few VM's on it.
    I would create the data center then add objects no problem but When i try to connect I would provide my username password (domain admin rights) And get the following error after a few seconds:

"A general system error occured: internal error"

then the server shows that it is still disconnected. What noob process am I doing wrong?
    I am assuming this version works with vmware server

Re: VC Connection Problem

i think i am reading this right...

you are trying to use VirtualCenter 2.0.1 to connect to a VMWare Server installation, correct?

i dont believe you can manage VMWare Server with VirtualCenter 2.0.1.

VirtualCenter 2.0.1 is for managing DRS/HA on virtual machines running on ESX hosts, not VMWare Server.

Someone correct me if i am wrong or if there is some patch to allow this that i am not aware of...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

That case I am confused. What do you read into this message posted on this site at this location: http://www.petri.com/vmware-virtual-center.htm

Here is a snippet:

What VMware Virtual Center can do for you
      Now let's talk about how Virtual Center can help you. Specifically, I want you to SEE these features, not just read about them. As everyone's company and needs are different, different features of the product will hit home with different people. What I am going to cover are the features that really hit home with me.

VC provides centralized management for all VMware ESX servers. Keep in mind that VC 3.x does not control free VMware Server systems. To control VMware Server systems, you have to buy Virtual Center 2.x (which cannot control VMware ESX 3.x servers).
      With centralized management you get a single place to go to control all virtual servers. The more virtual servers you have, the more necessary Virtual Center becomes.

Comment

Originally posted by PLANZ View Post
        VC provides centralized management for all VMware ESX servers. Keep in mind that VC 3.x does not control free VMware Server systems. To control VMware Server systems, you have to buy Virtual Center 2.x (which cannot control VMware ESX 3.x servers).
        ***EDIT***
        ok. i see where the confusion lies. good question. i dont know... i havent ever tried to manage VMWare Server with VC 2.x.

i can only comment on ESX. sorry to bother ya...
        Last edited by James Haynes; 12th February 2008, 20:03.

Comment

PLease re read my initial post. As you see I am NOT using version 3.
          I am using the reccomended version of 2.X

Let me know your thoughts about that. Ok Will try again

I am using 2.x. The way I read that message is IF 2.x is used then I can manage the free vmware server version (WHICH I AM USING)..

I appreciate the replies. But I think i spelled out all of the version in my initial post. Please advise if I am totally misunderstanding or misreading something.

Comment

no, your correct. i edited my post as you posted that last post. my bad.

ill edit this thread after i read some and am able to contribute.

brb...

Comment

LOL No problem James.

I appreciate your replies. Let hope someone has an idea for this issue.

Comment

The VirtualCenter used to manage VMware Server is different from the one for ESX. I believe the current version is 1.4.1. And it requires a seperate license too. You should be able to search it in VMware's website.

Comment

You don't have a VMWare Server agent license. If you want to manage Server, you need a separate license for that.
                  VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
                  boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
                  My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                  X