No announcement yet.

VMWare Server missing NW adaptor

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Server missing NW adaptor

Looking for advice on this problem which Im sure is an oversight or misconfig on my part..

Ive installed VMWare Server locally on a standard XP machine which is a member of a domain, and installed a new VM with XP Pro straight from the CD. Ive installed VMWare tools and selected the Bridged NW adaptor option. I would expect it to use the VMXNET virtual network driver however device manager is missing the network adaptor and wants to 'add new hardware' each time its booted. I tried to browse to the Drivers folder in VMTools directory to add them this way but no luck. How, or what do I need to do to install the network driver on this VM..?

Re: VMWare Server missing NW adaptor

I thought this would be a pretty basic issue, still as yet unresolved, and no response here suggests otherwise. Oh well!

Re: VMWare Server missing NW adaptor

When you allow XP to install new device drivers, what kind of hardware is being found and is the device driver installation completing successfully?

Is your VM's disk in a non-persistent mode? Meaning any changes made inside the VM are discarded after a power operation.

Your NIC may be added as virtual hardware but perhaps you have it disconnected. Check your VM hardware configuration and ensure that the virtual network adapter in the configuration is "connected" and "connect at startup".

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.