No announcement yet.

To deploy VMs using ADS.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To deploy VMs using ADS.

I need help on to create VMs using ADS. Any suggestion or help is appreciated.

Re: To deploy VMs using ADS.

how familiar are you with using ADS in the first place?

i am going to assume that your a total n00b with ADS and start you with the basics.

i would also suggest that you start with a physical to master the process of Auto Deployment...

first, read this page. this is the main page where you will be able to find links on discussions, white papers, ADS vs RIS... etc, etc.
    Windows Server 2003 Automated Deployment Services

this link is to the technical overview .doc. it will answer a lot of questions about ADS:

here is the systems requirements for the host, client, and network of an ADS scenario. you will find this very helpful. it will also let you know if you should carry on or stop while your behind:
    Automated Deployment Services System Requirements

i think that should be enough to get you started. the first link i gave you (Windows Server 2003 Automated Deployment Services) will be your best bet.

you will not find information on how to use ADS with vmware, as M$ doesnt support VM installs in any way, shape, or form... but this is what i have come to learn after dealing with ESX for the better half of the last year: dont even worry about the fact its virtual. treat it as physical. if you can make it work with a physical, then you can do it with a virtual, plain and simple. people will tell you that it will not work, but that is simply not the case. people told me that a virtual server will not support exchange... that was crap. when M$ says "it isnt supported" it means they are too busy to figure out what must be done to answer your questions.

just off the top of my head, the steps seem basic...
    • create a virtual with win2003, run the updates, install sysprep compatible programs, and install the ADS agent.
    • run sysprep.
    • create an image of the server you just created and place it on the ADS server.
    • create a bootable floppy with the requirements outlined in the documentation for ADS.
    • create a .bin of the floppy you created.
    • enable PXE as the first boot device on the virtual.
    • let the ADS server to host the floppy image for the client server, allowing the client to boot from this image.
    • select this PXE booted device in the ADS MMC as a target for deployment.
    • push the syspreped image to the client AFTER MODIFYING THE sysprep.inf so that the target receives a unique name and uuid.

again, that is just a basic outline, and i have left out many important steps that you will have to compile to meet your requirements for this to work.

read the network requirements as well, because PXE is picky across multiple VLANS and subnets. i have had problems with PXE boot and VLAN configurations in the past.

hope that gives you somewhere to start. let us know how it turns out.

and dont forget you can always create a template with VMware to do all this without windows at all. i think that would be easier if all the machines are on site... you will have to decide what you need to make this work on your network.

good luck!
    James Haynes
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...