Create a super computer using VMWare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create a super computer using VMWare

Just thinking out aloud.....if I had 10 older pcs and clustered them together using VMWare, would I end up with a super computer?

When using multiple pcs in VMWare, could I play a game like, say, COD4 and how do I tell the game to use a specific video card for rendering?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Create a super computer using VMWare

JD,

VMWare is designed to split the resources of one physical machine into multiple virtual machines. Its not really designed to combine the resources of multiple physical machines into one 'super computer'. If you are looking for something to combine older machines into a single super computer type of setup google 'Beowulf Cluster" or "Stone SouperComputer". The story behind the Stone Soupercomputer is really interesting reading.

Rob

Comment

The last post is quite true, there is no current way of using VMWare to combine the computing power of multiple physical computers into a single VM that uses all resources simultaenously. This is high-performance (HP) clustering.

The non-free versions of VMWare are built to allow multiple physical computers to be grouped for high availability (HA); another type of clustering. The technology allows a VM to run un-interrupted while being moved from one physical computer to another wether in response to a physical computer failure or because another 'faster' computer is available in the group, or because an admin moved the VM. Very very cool.

By the way, unless your program is built specifically to use a large number of processors simultaenously, you will see NO increase in perfomance in running it on a cluster. In fact you'll probably see a significant preformance drop.

Comment

Originally posted by rschmidt1300 View Post
        ...'Beowulf Cluster'...
        Rob
        heeeheehe... you said 'Beowulf Cluster'.

Beowulf Clusters crack me up.

all your beowulf cluster are belong to us.

haha!
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
        X