Is this spec enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this spec enough?

I previously thought my server was a good enough spec, however, someone has since told me it would run slowly with just 1 processor.

I am planning on running ESX3.5 with 2 OS's, one would be an AD server and the other a Terminal Server. The terminal server would be used for mainly running a database, which runs on an access base, so not too bad. There would be a max of 8 users at a time.

I've got an IBMx3400 server with a Xeon 1.6 quad core processor. I have 6Gb of RAM. 2 x 73Gb SCSI hard drives, 15000rpm and 16MB cache.

I thought it should run fine, but since someone who knows quite a bit about VM has said it might run slow I'm not so sure.

Can someone offer advice?

Re: Is this spec enough?

Has he told you why if you have a quad core?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I currently have 3 DL380G5's with Dual Quad Core 2.33 proc's, and 16 GB of RAM running 3.02 soon to be 3.5. To be honest, the place you really need to focus on is RAM. Network connections need to be redundant and Gigabit as well. Most of the time the proc's just sit at idle even with 3 - 4 production servers some of which run MSDE DB's and others that run a full SQL 2005 install... In my opinion, if you were to spend some more $, I would get more RAM... The Quad core will take care of itself even as (1.6 X 4) Why are you going with ESX instead of the free version if your only going to run 2 VM's on the box? I mean your talking about spending more on software that what your hardware cost?

Comment

Thanks for the adviceto both of you

The reason I am going for ESX is I didn't really want the overhead of running another OS by using just the standard virtual server. Using ESX would allow me to use this spec server for dual purpose.

the software cost is high, but I think its worth it for future expansion

If I see some slowness, I'll look into adding more RAM if need be

Comment

Working...
        X