Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Dongle working with VMWARE

Hi,
    I am curious if anyone had any success with using a virtual machine that requires a Sentinal Superpro USB Dongle by rainbow technologies (litte purple usb key)?

When this box was a physical machine I did not need to install a driver for it. Xp found it was good to go. When I plugged it into the win2k3 server machine it did not find it. I proceeded to d/l the driver and installed it. I performed a p2v on this then moved it to vmware server. Perhaps it is suppose to use some sort of vmware driver?

My host is win2k3std
    Running vmware server 1.04
    The virtual Machine is xp pro. The dongle is recongnized and turned on however the software does not seem to see it.

Re: USB Dongle working with VMWARE

I've not used that particular dongle but I have used other USB devices in the past with success (Windows host, Windows guest). Is your guest VM detecting the virtual USB ports? Have you added USB ports as virtual hardware in the VM configuration? <-- that's step 1 if you haven't done that yet.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

HEY CONGRATS!
      Over 300 views and finally a reply... Thanks!

But to answer your question yes the virtual usb is in the hardware list.

Comment

I promise I was not one of those 300 who viewed without replying.

You can plug in a USB thumb drive and see it in your guest?
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Yes when I plug a usb storage device (thumb drive) in to the port it is recognized in the virutal machine and does give it a logical drive letter and also able to view the contents.

Comment

Ok. Sounds like you're at the mercy of the vendor. Contact Rainbow Technologies to see if the dongle is supported in a virtual environment.

Depending on your budget, you might go with a software USB dongle solution to put on your network. Might be a bit more money than you want to spend though. Usually we use software USB dongle technology on the ESX server side because USB is not supported on the VMware Kernel side plus using dongles dedicated to ESX hardware hosts is a bad design idea.

Jas

Comment

We use the Rainbow dongle to secure our software. We also use Vmware workstation 6...and run support/development versions of XP pro on the VM server (workstation 6). The main reason not using VMWare Server1, and using VMWare Workstation was the usb 2 support...better usb support.

If I have focus on the vm guest, and usb device enabled, then the dongle works for that single guest. any other guest...or the host have "lost" the dongle...so still a single dongle to single os relationship.

I honestly don't recall driver...setup issues. pretty sure that when xp guest sees the dongle for first time use, it does it's blip, install and then just works...to secure our software/license.

So VMWare environment...my config seems to work with the "little purple key"

Comment

USB dongle don't work in VMware Enterprise version (ex:ESX) but you could use the "USB over IP" technology.

VMware offcially support it with the USB Anywhere product.
                http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx_anywhereusb2.pdf.

This product is often used in allmost enterprise using vmware products.

Comment

have you considered a dongle emulation software to replace the hardware?

http://www.software-key.org/

ive actually used them many years ago to create an AutoCAD dongle emulator. worked fine... dont know what the cost increase is these days. maybe worth your while.

this site specifically mentions your vendor.
                  http://www.neobit.org/emulators.phtml

thanks,
                  J
                  its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                  Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

You can try using dongle emulator. It wirks fine under VMWare environment and emulates Rainbow technologies dongle without any problem.

Comment

thanks will give that a try when I ge a chance and report back the results

Comment

Working...
                      X