Server Virtualization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Virtualization

Hey Folks - We need your help. We were hoping, we could gain from your experience with implementing server virtualization. When should we be using Red Hat Virtualization, Citrix Virtualization, Xen Virtualization, Microsoft Virtualization, Oracle Virtualization and VMWare. I will be very interested in learning from your first hand experince. I will also like to know, under what situations is one virtualization prefered over the other. - Thanks for your help

Re: Server Virtualization

the de facto standard these days seems VMWare ESX, which really is very resource efficient (only 90 megs of RAM taken, the rest is free for the VMs to use)

and it also has quite a few additional goodies
    ________
    Chrysler new yorker
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 17:59.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

how much do you want to spend?

that will play a roll when determining which virtualization route you take...

M$ virtualization is free, besides the lics and the cals, and xen can be pretty cheap as well.

we are using ESX right now. $1.2 million dollars, $333,000 of which is for vmotion licensing alone...

i cannot comment on the other virtualization technologies, as i have not used them
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I have been working with VMWARE, Microsoft and XEN, and in overall VMWARE feels like it offers better performance. I must emphasize "Feels", because this has not been technical tested. It is just an impression.
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

VMware. Period.

Everyone else is significantly behind on the technology, especially Microsoft.

If you're on a restrictive budget, unfortunately you may need to look elsewhere.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X