VMware convertor fails on VPC 98 vm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware convertor fails on VPC 98 vm

I have an application that will only run under Windows 98 and I want to set up a VMware VM to run it. I currently have it working using Virtual PC 2007.
    I downloaded VMware Converter Starter and tried to convert the .vmc file but it fails each time with the error "Unable to determine guest operating system".
    Is it not possible to use VMware with a Windows 98 image or am I missing something else?

Re: VMware convertor fails on VPC 98 vm

have you tried the compatibility feature of XP?

there is a possibility that the prog may work in XP...

if it doesnt work, then we can try something else.

instead of trying to clone a VPC 2007 to vmware, why not do a fresh install of 98 via the boot disk in vmware, then transferring the needed files to the vmware virtual?

vm convertor is not very friendly. i have fails left and right, and sometimes it easier to just start from scratch...

it takes 25 minutes to install 98...

... how long have you spent trying to figure out why it fails?

ROI.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I determined that the application would also run under Windows 2000. VM converter worked fine on a 2000 vm which resolved my immediate problem.

The reason I posted the question was to find out if VMware would run Windows 98 before I went to the trouble of trying to load it from scratch. Since it will convert a newer OS but not 98 I thought it might not run an older one.

Comment

going with the 'more recent' OS would probably be your best bet.

good deal it works under 2000. i would cry if someone placed a Win98 box on my network...

J
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by SCarpenter View Post
          I have an application that will only run under Windows 98 and I want to set up a VMware VM to run it. I currently have it working using Virtual PC 2007.
          I downloaded VMware Converter Starter and tried to convert the .vmc file but it fails each time with the error "Unable to determine guest operating system".
          Is it not possible to use VMware with a Windows 98 image or am I missing something else?
          For whatever VMware product you're using, check the guest compatibility in the release notes documentation. Win98 might have fallen off the list although it does work because I have Win98 VMs. If you're trying to convert to ESX, it won't work because your VM has IDE drives which ESX has never supported in a guest VM. SCSI only.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X