Clear All

• newbie - VMWare server networking lab

Before I ask my question, here's my setup:
    Notebook with 2 GB RAM
    Installed VMWare server 1.0.4
    Network: 100% wireless
    Host: XP SP2
    2 Guests: Opensuse 10.3 and Ubuntu 7.10
    2 NICs: Broadcom on the notebook and a DLink with an Atheros chipset.

Other software opf interest to my question: Etheral/Wireshark (a packet sniffer) is installed on both the host and guests

Works fine under "Bridged". I can access the Internet from either the Host or Guests.

My question:
    I'd like to send packets from my linux guest i.e. an http session for instance: guest to NIC to my AP... back to my AP and my host and sniff the packets on my host via wireshark. I'd like to do the same in reverse: sending packets from the XP host and seeing them in one of my guest.

I have a follow-up question once this works; but, no need to jump the gun at this point.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to do this lab?

Thanks

Re: newbie - VMWare server networking lab

Originally posted by jdestruel View Post
    Before I ask my question, here's my setup:
    Notebook with 2 GB RAM
    Installed VMWare server 1.0.4
    Network: 100% wireless
    Host: XP SP2
    2 Guests: Opensuse 10.3 and Ubuntu 7.10
    2 NICs: Broadcom on the notebook and a DLink with an Atheros chipset.

Other software opf interest to my question: Etheral/Wireshark (a packet sniffer) is installed on both the host and guests

Works fine under "Bridged". I can access the Internet from either the Host or Guests.

My question:
    I'd like to send packets from my linux guest i.e. an http session for instance: guest to NIC to my AP... back to my AP and my host and sniff the packets on my host via wireshark.
    This will work because your host can see the NIC that's being sniffed, although the frames will be encapsulated. I'm not sure what you see in the frame payload will be of any use.

Originally posted by jdestruel View Post
    I'd like to do the same in reverse: sending packets from the XP host and seeing them in one of my guest.
    This will not work via the network bridge. The VM is isolated and can't see your host's NIC via the bridge although if you'd like to sniff the host's NIC in permiscuous mode over the network, knock yourself out.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
    X