VMWare Stop/Start Script...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Stop/Start Script...

question regarding the start/stop script.

will this batch work if i have my VM's located on a different partition but vmware installed to the default

C:
    cd "\Program Files\VMWare\VMware Server"
    call vmware-cmd "D:\Virtual Machines\Server1.vmx" stop
    call vmware-cmd "E:\Virtual Machines\Server2.vmx" stop
    cd \

or do i need to add a "cd" anywhere in order for it to know it's not on the same partition?

thanks.

Re: VMWare Stop/Start Script...

i dunno. try it and find out. i mean, they are virtuals... disable the NICs if there are duplicate names on your physical net and give it a shot. the worst thing that could happen is nothing...

if it does work, post the results so that others may learn from your experience. if it doesnt, post it as well...

j
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: VMWare Stop/Start Script...

Originally posted by MMF View Post
      question regarding the start/stop script.

will this batch work if i have my VM's located on a different partition but vmware installed to the default

C:
      cd "\Program Files\VMWare\VMware Server"
      call vmware-cmd "D:\Virtual Machines\Server1.vmx" stop
      call vmware-cmd "E:\Virtual Machines\Server2.vmx" stop
      cd \

or do i need to add a "cd" anywhere in order for it to know it's not on the same partition?

thanks.
      The syntax for vmware-cmd is vmware-cmd <path to .vmx file> <what you want to do>

Your script will work as is assuming the paths are correct, however, you've made your script overly complicated. I can do in 2 lines what you've scripted in 5. Here's my version of your script:

call "C:\Program Files\VMWare\VMware Server\vmware-cmd" "D:\Virtual Machines\Server1.vmx" stop trysoft hard
      call "C:\Program Files\VMWare\VMware Server\vmware-cmd" "E:\Virtual Machines\Server2.vmx" stop trysoft hard

Notice I added trysoft hard to your stop command. Best practice there to gracefully shutdown your guest VM and if that fails, then pull the plug on it.

Jas
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X