Cannot connect to specific VLAN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot connect to specific VLAN

i have 2 blade chassis. each consists of 12 blades with 4 gigs each. one chassis is located here at the courthouse, the second is at a DR facility across town. each chassis has the ability to hold 14 blades.

all hosts are running ESX 3.0.1. After the initial setup, all the blades were running correctly. The blades were assigned an IP on the VI VLAN and the VMs attached to this blade were assigned an address on the 5 VLAN (as the rest of our physical servers)

there are two VLANs involved at each site. the 242 is the VM VLAN for management. the 5 is the server VLAN, here on-site. at the DR location, the VM VLAN is 232 and the server VLAN is 6.

lets take one blade on-site for example... the blade in slot 1 has been connected to the vswitch to allow it to use the 242 and 5 VLAN. the address for this blade is 192.168.242.101. the VMs attached to this blade are given a NIC that is connected to the 5 VLAN. so, VM1 on blade1 has an IP of 192.168.5.100.

now, at the DR, the blade in slot 1 was connected to the vswitch to allow it to use the 232 and 6 VLAN. the address for this blade is 192.168.232.101. the VMs attached to this blade are given a NIC that is connected to the 6 VLAN. so, VM1 on blade1 has an IP of 192.168.6.100.

a blade was removed from the DR site and brought to the courthouse. it was placed into slot 13. it picked up the correct IP for a blade in slot 13: 192.168.242.113. however, the VMs attached to this blade will not "see" the VLAN 5, even though the blade has been connected to the vswitch in an identical fashion as the others.

any ideas? i know its not the ESX firewall, because that wouldnt prevent the VMs from getting an address on the 5 VLAN. I'm beginning to think the ESX install is corrupt or something, but before i go wiping it, i wanted some additional input from anyone with an idea...

thanks guys,
    James
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: Cannot connect to specific VLAN

Did you get this resolved or is this still an issue?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
    X