No announcement yet.

VMware problems with WSUS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware problems with WSUS

I'll try to keep this short.

Running VMWare on a Dell Win2k3 Server called "Hardware01".

"Hardware01" hosts, via VMWare, SecurityServer, TicketingServer, and WSUSServer. All virtual servers are Win2k3 Server. All have a been run through NewSid. (NewSid was my first thought at fixing this problem.)

In WSUS, which is ofcourse on WSUSServer, only one of the three virtual servers will show up at once. All of my XP machines show up, as well as other non-virtual servers, and even "Hardware01" shows up.

If I run wuauclt /resetauthorization and then wuauclt /detectnow on any one virtual server (including WSUSServer by the way), it will now show up in WSUS, but it "bumps" the virtual server that was previously listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: VMware problems with WSUS

Does indeed sound like a SID issue.

When you built all your new Virtual servers did you just duplicate them and then run newsid? When I build a new server OS I install the OS, patch it, install all tools I require and then sysprep it and make it read only. Then when I need a new server I just make a copy of the sysprep'd image.

Microsoft say the following about newsid.exe

Regarding SIDs, Microsoft does not support images that are prepared using NewSID, we only support images that are prepared using SysPrep. Microsoft has not tested NewSID for all deployment cloning options.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: VMware problems with WSUS

You're missing a bigger piece - the sid that is maintained for AU.

Save this script and run it on the problem AU client.

@echo off
      Echo This batch file will do the following:
      Echo 1. Stop the wuauserv service
      Echo 2. Delete the AccountDomainSid registry key (if it exists)
      Echo 3. Delete the PingID registry key (if it exists)
      Echo 4. Delete the SusClientId registry key (if it exists)
      Echo 5. Restart the wuauserv service
      Echo 6. Resets the Authorization Cookie
      @echo on
      net stop wuauserv
      REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
      REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
      REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
      net start wuauserv
      wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
      @echo off
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.