mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

I have a virtual machine that has been converted from Microsoft Virtual PC to VMware. It worked fine until I installed VMWare tools. After VMware tools installed the mouse stopped working correctly. More specifically the left mouse button stopped working.

After VMWare tools were uninstalled the mouse worked correctly again.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Re: mouse stopped working correctly after VMware tools were installed

Installing VMWare Tools generally resolves issues where the mouse stops responding. Go to device manager and manually install the mouse driver from the following default location C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\mouse and then give this a try.
    MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

I've had this recently with vmware also. Go to your [Display Properties | Advanced Setting | Troubleshoot] reduce the hardware acceleration by one notch and it should resolve the problem.

Comment

I am having the same issue - created the VM in MS (with VM "Addtions" from MS), migrated to VMWare Server, installed tools, and my left mouse doesn't work. Reinstalling the driver doesn't seem to do anything, and adjusting the accelleration essentially disables the mouse (I can see it for a brief second, then it's gone until I move the mouse off the screen and back).

Using Remote Desktop I can get around just fine and have no mouse issues.

Comment

Originally posted by joel.gibby View Post
          I am having the same issue - created the VM in MS (with VM "Addtions" from MS), migrated to VMWare Server, installed tools, and my left mouse doesn't work. Reinstalling the driver doesn't seem to do anything, and adjusting the accelleration essentially disables the mouse (I can see it for a brief second, then it's gone until I move the mouse off the screen and back).

Using Remote Desktop I can get around just fine and have no mouse issues.
          How bizarre. Yeah I found RDP works MUCH better than the vm console too.

Comment

go to the hardware manager and check to see what (if any) mouse is installed.

if you see "Standard PS/2 mouse", then delete it and replace with the "vmmouse.inf"

you should have a mouse that works.

if not, then please respond giving the results.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I had the same problem. You first have to uninstall the Microsoft VM Additions by going into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Then convert the VM to VMWare. The Microsoft VM additions adds it's own virtual mouse driver (msvmmouf.sys) that confilcts with the VMWare virtual driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks14 View Post
                I had the same problem. You first have to uninstall the Microsoft VM Additions by going into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Then convert the VM to VMWare. The Microsoft VM additions adds it's own virtual mouse driver (msvmmouf.sys) that confilcts with the VMWare virtual driver.
                that is what i was saying in the above post. regardless of the mouse you see in the device manager, delete it so you can install the "vmmouse.inf" instead. this is the only one that will work with vmware... unless you install some other HID.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks14 View Post
                  Well done Sparks!! A clear and concise answer giving the steps to take and the reasons why. Excellent first post, hope we get to see many more.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This is some really good information. Thanks All

BUT, I haven't fixed my problem yet. I cannot remove the msvmmouf.sys driver first because the microsoft virtual pc has already been converted to VMWare. So when I removed the microsoft driver to solve the conflict I can't seem to get the vm to rediscover the hardware properly.

Any suggestions?

Comment

you dont want the vm to discover anything...

have you tried to reinstall the tools again? if not, no worries...

tell it 'you will choose the driver to install' and cram vmmouse.inf down its throat.

that should take care of the problem.

Comment

The problem is that the old mousedriver is hooked to the mouse device class.
                        To remove this dependency, go into the registry and navigate to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Remove the value msvmmouf from the UpperFilters Regvalue.

Reboot....

tadaaa!!

If you wish you can take out the drivers completely by deleting these registry hives completely :

The driver:
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\msvmmouf

The Service:
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VPCMap

The CopyHook Shell Extension: ( for folder access )
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{30C14BA C-122C-42ED-B319-1139DBF48EB8}\InProcServer32
                        HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\CopyHookHandle rs\VPCCopyHook

After a reboot you can delete the "Virtual Machine Additions" folder from program files...

Good Luck!
                        Last edited by mike_something; 17th January 2008, 13:26.

Comment

The resolution was in the last response...I tried it and it worked seamlessly. Here are the steps that I followed:
                          1. I uninstalled the mouse driver from the Control Panel>System>Hardware
                          2. The system asked me to reboot, then I did.
                          3. When the system came back on I had mouse control, which allowed me to go into the registry editor and do the instructions for removing the driver in the prior response.

My system is now working perfectly!

Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                          X