Client Authentication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client Authentication

I have the esx infrastructure 3 running in vm workstation 6.
    I can log on to the esx server with root and edit files etc.
    The client was downloaded (via the web connection) from the installation and installed on to a windows server, running as vm in the infrastructure 3.
    All the hosts files on both systems have been edited. Fire wall on the esx server has been opened in both directions. The one thing that keeps failing is the logon from the client.
    I've tried root and [email protected]l and [email protected]l I get bad username or password every time.

If you could suggest something to try I would be most grateful.
    Attached Files

Re: Client Authentication

im not sure whats going with this setup (i manage an ESX cluster @ work), but it may be possible that 'root' doesnt have logon permissions.

the preferred method is to create a user with telnet/SSH/logon permissions to use for this purpose. its a security feature... you shoud use this logon for application connections and ODBC.

when you connect to the ESX console, you use this logon and then 'su -' to gain root access.

or the non0prefered is to edit the permissions for root in the VI permissions page, thus allowing the use of 'root' for these type actions.

.. at least thats what i think is going on here. sorry if im wrong.

test by creating an admin user and trying to logon with it. that should be whats happening.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Client Authentication

ESX firewall (by default) won't prevent a connection from a VI client unless you've toyed with it and screwed yourself.

In VI3 port 902 is used.
      In VI3.5 port 443 is used.

Short and long name resolution between ESX and the VC server plays a huge role for the VI components to work properly. If it's fouled up, various things will fail, for instance HA will be problematic. Best suggestion is to put all appropriate long and short names and IPs in /etc/hosts

Verify you can ping the ESX server by FQDN from the client.
      Last edited by jasonboche; 10th January 2008, 21:13.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X