Keyboard mapping problem when using VNC access to guest console

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard mapping problem when using VNC access to guest console

I have followed the article on how to use VNC viewer to access the console of a guest. All is working great other than the keyboard mapping - when I press the backslash key (\) on my UK keyboard a hash (#) appears I have tried pressing all the other keys and the backslash doesn't seem to be mapped to any of them. I have tried using all three VNC clients (latest versions) mentioned in the arcticle - no luck. As I am talking to a guest running a windows OS the backslash is needed a lot eg folder paths, logging in as <DOMAIN>\<USER> so this is a problem. Anyone else had this problem and fixed it ?

Re: Keyboard mapping problem when using VNC access to guest console

I have never seen this but I wonder if the keyboard on the client, the host system, and the virtual guest system are all set the same and to the proper setting....?

Just my first thought...
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

remap the key on the windows host with the keyboard mapper in the system folder...

you could change the # for a \

or worst case, you can enable accessibility features and have the onscreen keyboard start at logon.

turn off all the encryption for VNC and do an ethereal capture on each of the interfaces all the way from your workstation to the guest:

workstation....(ethereal on this physical connection).....HOST_OS......(ethereal on this virtual bridged connection).....GUEST_OS

then open notepad and type out the key in question... then examin the cature and look for that character and see where the mapping is being lost... or the charachter is being replaced as the case may be...

thats if your bored and have time to do that. i wish it was happening to me cause im bored and have time to do that...
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks for the ideas - so I have not checked the thread sooner - busy doing some P2V's

It does look like a keyboard mapping problem to me :

I press SHIFT+2 and get an @ sign
        I press SHIFT+3 and get nothing (should be )
        I press \ and get #
        I press SHIFT+\ and get ~
        I press # and I get 3
        I press SHIFT+# and get

The guest and the workstation I am connecting from are configured to use UK keyboards so is the VMware host. I checked the server running VC and found it had been built with US locale.

Thought I had answer (not sure why the mapping would effect VNC access which is direct to HOST not via VC). Altered to UK and rebooted VC server.

VNC still has broken mapping and MKS interface in VC is still correct - arg !

Comment

Working...
        X