Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux host and guest: Guest uses physical display and boots up automatically ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux host and guest: Guest uses physical display and boots up automatically ?

Hi,

I'm familiar with all the VMware products, but I am not sure if this possible, and if it is, which product I should use. I'm wanting to set up a linux Media Player guest that will immediately start playing images/videos on the connected screen when it boots up. I have this working on a linux box (CentOS 4.4, no virtualization) and I'm wanting to make that into a VMware guest system so that I can have this same Media Player system running on different host hardware and OS configurations.

As my first test, I'm wanting to set up a linux host (probably CentOS 4.5 / 5 or Fedora) with the linux Media Player guest. The host will just be there to facilitate the running of a shell server (SSHd) and VMWare to run the guest.

My problem is that I don't know how to get VMware (Server, Workstation, Player, whatever) to boot the guest OS automatically, and send the guest's output (bootup, showing the images/videos, etc.) to the physical screen. I'm assuming this would need to be done through the host's X11/Xorg, but I have no idea how I would go about doing this. If anyone can help me out, or point me in the direction of some reading materials, it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Linux host and guest: Guest uses physical display and boots up automatically ?

What is rebooting the guest?

Scripting the automatic startup of the guest is easy enough but it sounds like you also need the VM to start in full screen mode, correct?

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Linux host and guest: Guest uses physical display and boots up automatically ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "What is rebooting the guest?". What I'm wanting is:

When the host reboots:
      - VMWare product should start automatically (easy to do with an init script)
      - The linux guest OS should start automatically
      - The content that the guest is showing should take up the whole screen (I'm assuming that means that I need to start the host/guest in fullscreen mode).

Not sure how this is possible, or if it even IS possible. I would prefer to use VMWare Server, but I can look at other VMWare products if I need to.

Comment

Ok, so the host is rebooting. I thought you meant someone was rebooting the guest as if it were a public kiosk or something.

I'm not as familiar with the *nix version of VMware but the concepts are the same. In an init script, after the guest is launched, you'll need to launch the guest console connecting to the VM on the local host or over the network redictor on port 903, whatever that is on *nix, and hopefully there is a parameter to force it to full screen mode.

Check out http://communities.vmware.com/message/689843#689843 for some hints.

On the full screen need, here's the solution for you:
        http://communities.vmware.com/message/689938
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the links =)

Comment

Working...
          X