VMware ESX Backup Options Compared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware ESX Backup Options Compared

I posted this question over on the VMware Community and no one had any answer for me. But, I am sure that I will have better luck here (or maybe what I am looking for just doesn't exist yet).

I am looking for a doc that compares the various options for backing up a VMware ESX Server. Those options include:
    - Vizioncore ESXRanger
    - VCB (with a 3rd party backup product)
    - EsXpress
    - script?

A whitepaper that compares these would be the ultimate answer but even if you can just say that you have tried all of these options and might be able to share the pro's and con's of using each, I would like to hear from you.

Thank you,
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Re: VMware ESX Backup Options Compared

i dont have one, but i have been looking into the same thing.

right now i have 28 blades with over 40 virtuals and more coming soon. we have been migrating physical servers to VMs as time allows and we are getting quite a few...

so maybe we can start a thread with snippets of ESX backup strategies, effectively creating our own white-paper.

http://daemonb.blogspot.com/2007/05/...er-backup.html
    VMware VCB and Visioncore ESX Ranger:

These 2 products are both competitive and complimentary. They are competitive because both attempt to provide a faster, more efficient solution for backing up your virtual machines. However, there is a key difference. Consolidated Backup provides a “file level” backup that enables you to backup a single file. esxRanger backs up vmdk files (virtual disks) as a single file.
    esxRanger makes restoring an entire virtual machine extremely simple by allowing an administrator to restore only 1 file. To restore an entire virtual machine with Consolidated Backup you’d first need to install an operating system (preferably from template). Then you can restore your data from your backup agent.

Conversly, if you wanted to restore a single file using esxRanger, it can be a complicated process. You’d first need to restore the vmdk files associated with the virtual machine, and then restart it in a development environment, start the VM and then copy the needed file. This is far too complicated for just 1 file.

That’s why Vizioncore (developers of esxRanger) developed what they call their 1 - 2 punch. This approach uses both esxRanger and Consolidated Backup thereby providing both file level and “single image” backups, and therefore simplified VM and file restore. You get the best of both worlds.
    here is the link to CommVault's Galaxy Backup and Recovery:
    A CommVault Whitepaper: CommVault Backup and Recovery
    http://www.commvault.com/pdf/CommVau...ndRecovery.pdf

here is a white-paper from Veritas on VM backups:
    Backing Up VMware With Veritas NetBackup™
    http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/s...ver/285515.pdf

i am in the process of evaluating some backup software right now... well, im waiting on the disks now, but as soon as i get it i will post on its performance...

Good topic! i think more than me and you will find this usefull in the longrun!

James
    Last edited by James Haynes; 12th October 2007, 15:31.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks James! I will check these links out! Great info!

-David
      David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
      Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
      TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
      Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Hi David, James

I have a feature comparison document of esXpress vs. esxRanger and esXpress vs. VCBs.

We hope to have a whitepaper up soon. We are trying to have it written by an unbiased independant third party, rather than just release marketing fluff. Haven't locked that down yet though.

Here's the link to the pdf.

http://www.esxpress.com/Documents/ES...sVCBRanger.pdf

Thank you

Ken Harbin
        www.esXpress.com

Comment

in an attempt to keep things compatible, we are buying veritas cluster server as a backup solution for our VI3 environment...

the whitepaper is only downloadable thru a your symantec account, so ill post it thru everyones favorite... rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/64844939...onment_04.html

if the product works like it says, then it should be pretty cool. im only giving the software a evaluation, but well see what it can do to make my life easier.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
          X