Want Host OS to join Guest Virtual domain [was: Silly domain question]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want Host OS to join Guest Virtual domain [was: Silly domain question]

I want to create a Windows Server guest and turn it into a DC for a new domain. Is there a way I can get the host OS to join the domain? I've successfully joined the domain before but then, of course, was unable to log on to the domain upon successful restart (as the server was not running).

I would use VMware server, because it lets me run guest OS's as services without having to log on, but of course VMware Server won't work with my host OS (Vista x64 Ultimate).

Any suggestions (besides "buy a server, dumbass")?

Thanks!
    Sam

Re: Silly domain question

you kinda answered this yourself...

if you cannot get the virtual DC started prior to you logging on, then you cant log into the domain.

thus, as you mentioned, you need the virtual running as a service to log into your domain client.

and if your just doing a test enviro, you dont need a real server to simulate the enviro... just a simple desktop computer will do fine. i have a crappy little dell that runs all the needed net services (DNS, DHCP, WINS, and DC) running on a separate box to negate that problem.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Want Host OS to join Guest Virtual domain [was: Silly domain question]

Originally posted by Sam Pearson View Post
      I would use VMware server, because it lets me run guest OS's as services without having to log on, but of course VMware Server won't work with my host OS (Vista x64 Ultimate).
      I think (emphasis on the "I think") that I've read somewhere that although VM Server is indeed not supported on anything other than a server machine running Windows Server or the like, it will actually work even on XP or Vista. Again, I think...so test it out and let us know. It's a free download anyway!

Comment

Working...
      X