Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-bit Guest OS on 32-bit Host

Hi,

I would love to start using MS Exchange 2007 for my small 5-user environment. I want to test it out and check out the new features that it offers especially to Windows Mobile devices. I found on VMWare forums the following:

Please note that Workstation and VMware Server require a 64-bit CPU to run a 64-bit guest operating system. While it is theoretically possible to emulate a 64-bit instruction set on 32-bit hardware, doing so most likely results in unacceptable performance degradation.

I would like to know if there are any instructions out there for me to "theoretically emulate a 64-bit instrucation set" so I can install Windows Server 2003 64-bit guest on a 32-bit Windows Server 2003 machine running VMWare Workstation 6.

Any ideas?

Re: 64-bit Guest OS on 32-bit Host

I don't have any ideas about the 64-bit emulation but there is a 32-bit trial version of Exchange 2007
    https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...displaylang=en

And here's VHD for it https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...displaylang=en

Info about the versions (including the 32-bit one)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb232170.aspx
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I would like to know if there are any instructions out there for me to "theoretically emulate a 64-bit instrucation set" so I can install Windows Server 2003 64-bit guest on a 32-bit Windows Server 2003 machine running VMWare Workstation 6.
      I don't think that you appreciate the scale of the problem. On a 32-bit processor there are generally several thousand different "instructions" that you can feed to the processor to tell it what to do; each one performs a VERY SMALL operation. Each instruction consists of a 32-bit number which is fed onto the data lines of the processor; it then interprets that as an instruction and looks in the appropriate place for any data that instruction requires to function. On a 64-bit processor, the instruction set will contain all the 32-bit instructions along with a large number of new, more powerful instructions. To emulate this on a 32 bit system you would have to write a program in 32-bit code to perform the function of each individual 64 bit instruction which does not have an equivalent in the 32bit set. That could run to several man-years' work and would likely be buggy as hell and SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWWW.

Don't forget, each program you run on your PC consists of several thousand instructions and kilobytes of data. In order to "emulate" a 64 bit processor the 32 bit one would have to run almost twice as much code, twice over... and it's slower than the 64 bit processor in the first place! It would be a nonsenically counter-productive task for any commercial organisation to undertake... you're better off literally buying a 64 bit machine and starting from there.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        It would be a nonsenically counter-productive task for any commercial organisation to undertake... you're better off literally buying a 64 bit machine and starting from there.
        id still like to see the results of a simple 64-bit SQL query run on this VM setup... just for amusements sake... like the completion time versus the 32-bit non-emulated.

id have to agree with stone though... it would be like having your atari 2600 emulating an xbox...

speaking of which, id like to see that also.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I think someone did istall Windows 95 onto a Gameboy (or similar hardware).

One thing of interest, if you install the Evaluation 64bit Exchange 2007, you can upgrade it to a full licensed version. This is not possible with the 32bit Evaluation version.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well I guess we still don't have a solid way to do this "theoretical" thing, but meanwhile I'm installing the 32-Bit trial version of E2K7 on my VM. I'll see if I like it.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
            X