Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Startup hqtray.exe and vmware-tray.exe HELP !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup hqtray.exe and vmware-tray.exe HELP !!!

Hi

I just noticed that hqtray.exe and vmware-tray.exe starts up when windows xp starts. I was wondering what these things do and if it will be safe if i change them so they don't get turned on during start up. Can you please also tell me if VMware workstation will work as usual if these are turned off.

Thanks in advance

(BTW, system specs: intel core 2 duo e6420, nearly 2gb of ram, geforce 7300gs, 320gb hdd, running norton internet security 2006 and using VMware workstation)

Re: Startup hqtray.exe and vmware-tray.exe HELP !!!

there are several services that you may see running when you have vmware workstation installed on an XP machine...

hqtray.exe: vmware host network access status app
    vmware-tray.exe: vmware tray process

there are also...
    vmware-ufad.exe: the process for ufa services; it runs the converter.
    vmware-authd.exe: authentication/authorization mechanism for connections to the virtuals (not you, people accessing the virtuals)

what they are doing really depends on how you have your vm stuff setup and its purpose...

you can disable them if you want, but that isnt advisable unless you fully understand what the service is doing in respect to your instance of workstation.

hope that helps...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Yeah, But what exactly do these things do in workstation / to your VMs if turned off?

Comment

Originally posted by reiner1992 View Post
        Yeah, But what exactly do these things do in workstation / to your VMs if turned off?
        i just told you...
        vmware-tray.exe watches for vms that are running in the background of the host machine.

hqtray.exe is an application that runs in the tray. it is not the quarantine service itself, but literally the exe that runs that icon in the tray. i think the service that manages the "HOST QUARANTINE" (thus the name 'hqtray.exe') is the vmware-authd.exe or one of its dependencies

you can run the vm without any of these services running, but they are needed to allow the VMs to work with everything outside the host... I THINK. the services offer extended functionality to the virtuals...

just disable the services and run vmware and find out for yourself... it wont hurt anything... if you decide the vms run fine without, then disable them if you want.

im really new to ESX and even newer to workstation... i only play with workstation, as i use ESX at work, so dont hold me to these answers...

maybe jasonbouche will come along and correct me if your lucky.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

thanks for the answers

Comment

Working...
          X