Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running VMware server on Windows or Linux

Author of following article writes:

VMware doesnít recommend running VMware server on a Windows XP desktop (nor do they offer support if you are doing it). However, I havenít talked to anyone who has had problems doing this, as long as you are only using VMWare Server under Windows XP for app testing & development. Of course, you would not want to run production servers using Windows XP as the host OS.
    Why is this not recommended?

Thank you in advance.
    Anna

Re: Running VMware server on Windows or Linux

Not sure tbh. I think though that it MAY be down to stability of the OS.

I run VMWare on an XP machine for testing purposes and have had no issues

Comment

i believe its because of the way XP allocates resources as opposed to server 2003.

i have no problem with running it as a test enviro, but if your trying to use the host and the virtuals, forget it. im not saying you cant, but your performance will suffer greatly.

but i just made that up... i'll see if i can find a real reason why.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

At work I have a Windows Server as a guest on VMware, on a Ubuntu 7.04 as host.
        It works just fine.
        I tryied the same under Windows XP in an exact hardware configuration, and it runs fine, but about 30% slower (eye measured...).

My guess is that since the system I am using has only 1 GB of RAM, Linux might be more efficient administering it.
        The VM has 768 MB of RAM, so that leaves Windows XP with only 256 MB, which is not much.

Comment

This may be a drop off-topic - I hope not - and if it is, please excuse me for posting here.

I have a production DC running Windows Server 2003 SMB. The problem is that Exchange on SMB only allows like 5 licenses, so I wanted to install a VM with Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise, and Exchange 2003 Enterprise on that VM. I tried installing VMWare Workstation 6 and it gave me an error that it should not be installed on a DC. Upon research online, it seems that I should be using VMWare Server which is free. So...

1. CAN I use VMWare Workstation on a DC just it's not recommended, or is it really bad for me to do it - what can get messed up? After all, it's a virtual machine. I like Workstation because it allows VNC directly into the VM.

2. What are the major differences with the VMWare Server edition? Can I still install an OS like Windows Server 2003 on it?

I know from Daniels post on auto-starting a VM upon host reboot that it will only work with VMWare Server, so I guess that's a consideration. Does anyone have any advice as to how I should go ahead doing this? I don't have any other available systems to run the VM on, and as you can probably tell, we are a very small company. Maybe 7 computers in the office, and a need for maybe 15-20 Exchange mailboxes.

Thanks

Comment

it may be off-topic, but more importantly, its thread hi-jacking... as this is a totally different question that the OP.

but ill give you two quick answers...

1. yes, if you want to. vmware and/or windows wont prevent you from installing anything anywhere, but to do so, you must proceed at your own risk.

2. major differences... well, you have the 'start as a service' thing already. that would be the major drawback for your proposed scenario. also, i dont think that server supports remote sound, so you may want to take that into consideration. VMware server also offers remote management functionality and supports advanced API and scripting functionality. workstation also supports multiple snapshots and teaming, which may not be available in the current vmware server release... have to check for specifics.

hope that answers that.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

There is no problem for me...u can choose Fedora core 7 as a base OS.if red hat or windows, we need two licenses for base Os and Virtual machine OS...

Comment

Working...
              X