need to know VmWare virtual machine version in Petri article

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to know VmWare virtual machine version in Petri article

I read an article written by David Davis on the Petri.co.il website. It is named 'Automatically Power Up VMware Server Guest Operating Systems'. The URL for the article is:

http://www.petri.com/automatically-p...r-guest-os.htm

I need to know the version of the VmWare virtual machine you used in this article. We are using VmWare 5.5.3 and 6.0 and can't see the Startup/Shutdown option (as described in your article) in the VM Settings Options tab. Please let us know what version on VmWare you used for this article. Thank you very much.

Emre

Re: need to know VmWare virtual machine version in Petri article

Hi Emre,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this. I just returned from vacation.

The version of Vmware Server I used was 1.0.3.

Below is a screenshot I just took of my server console with the power options. Notice the 1.0.3 version number in the bottom right hand corner.

If you are using this version or a newer version and the option is grayed out, there is some reason for that and we can talk about it.

On VMware Workstation (which it sounds like you are using from the version number), I'd have to check and see if this is an option. I would think it would be but couldn't say for sure until I uninstall my Server and install Workstation.

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

I'm running VMWare Workstation 6 and there is no option for this. It seems like it's only available in the Server version, which is a shame cause I really like the VNC feature in Workstation which I believe is not available in Server.

Comment

It is available in my workstation 6, see the graphic below...
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by daviddavis View Post
          It is available in my workstation 6, see the graphic below...
          You misunderstood me. I was saying that the WS 6.0 doesn't have the option to do the automatic startup like what the article was referring to. It DOES have the VNC though, and I was saying that I liked the VNC feature and that is why I was using WS, and it's a shame WS doesn't have the auto-startup which IS available in Server since I would like to use that.

Comment

Hi Kingbear,

Sorry for any confusion. Here is what I have and feel free to correct me if I am wrong:

Workstation
            VNC - YES, new in 6.0
            Auto powerup on boot - NO
            Leave VM running in background when close VM Workstation - new in 6.0

Server
            VNC - YES, but hidden, see this link - http://www.petri.com/virtual_using_v...are_server.htm
            Auto powerup on boot - YES
            Leave VM running in background when close VM Workstation - of course, by design

I hope that helps clear up the confusion.

Comment

Workstation
              Leave VM running in background when close VM Workstation - new in 6.0
              Wow, cool. I never knew about that feature.
              Server
              VNC - YES, but hidden, see this link - http://www.petri.com/virtual_using_v...are_server.htm
              Oh, great! I'm happy to hear that the option is there. Thanks for the info!

-Eli

Comment

Does anyone know if this option is also available with ESX Server?

We use this all the time in VMWare Server 1 and 2, but are thinking of upgrading to ESX, but will not be able to make the transition without this option.

Comment

What feature are you talking about? Auto power up ? or VNC?

With ESX, yes, machines can certainly be powered on when the server boots.

And, if you want VNC on a guest OS, you just load it in that guest OS.

HTH-
                  david

Comment

I am talking about using VNC to the server to connect to a guest OS. We typically will VNC to VMserver:5950 (or whatever screen is designated for a particular guest vm).

This will allow us to use the vm as a workstation and use a VPN client within the VM that cuts off normal TCP/IP traffic once it is connected. Without the feature to connect directly to the host IP, connectivity to the VM will be terminated as soon as the VPN client is started.

Comment

While ESX doesn't have the VNC feature, it does have a VERY robust management interface with remote control - via the VI Management client or the Web interface.

I think you will find that ESX Server and the Suite around it are MUCH MUCH more powerful than VMware Server is and you will get a lot for your investment. I hope you won't let this one feature stop you from trying ESX Server.

Comment

I appreciate the information, but, unfortunately, this is actually a show stopper. This feature was the sole reason that we switched to VMware Server in the first place rather than simply using workstations that our employees could RDP or VNC into directly. Since our employees use Macs, VMware does not offer a remote console client that they can use in place of VNC. Our client work requires that we are able to VPN into their network using an extremely restrictive VPN client that cuts off all IP traffic destined for the workstation.

Again, thank you for the information, it was extremely helpful!

Comment

Working...
                        X