HELP, I'm new to VMware Sever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, I'm new to VMware Sever

Hi, I just installed VMware Server mainly just to use ubuntu and a host windows xp for browsing and downloading for increased security. What i have found is that whenever i start my host windows xp, it gets to the welcome screen then lags for a minute before displaying my background picture and it takes around another minute for the desktop to be fully functional. Can anyone please explain why this is and help me with how to solve this.

(Also what is this iis that the installer is complaining about?) (BTW, I am not a very technical user so if possible please use technical terms to a minimum.)

Thanks in advance

Re: HELP, I'm new to VMware Sever

One cause for you Lagging could be the machine is still in the process of loading the Virtual Machine.

What are your system specs? Unfortunately, it may be an issue that one may just have to live with.

From the sounds of it your Host Machine (Physical Hardware) is running XP. Correct?
    If so, I would check the settings of the Virtual Machine for Ubuntu and check if the machine is supposed to automatically start when windows starts. If this is the case it too could be the cause of your machine being laggy at startup. I would recommend a setup of On host startup, Don't power on virtual machine. This can be set by Selecting the Virtaul macnine you wish to check > VM Button > Settings > Options Tab > Startup/Shutdown Option. (Machine must be powerd off) See Attached File (VM-Server_Startup-Shutdown_Screen.jpg).

As for IIS. It stands for Internet Information Services/Systems. It is the Microsoft Web Server. It is used by VM Ware for a web interface to VM Ware. It isn't really required unless you would like the ability to view your VM Ware Server VIA a web-interface. (see attached VM-Server_Web_Screen.jpg for basic shot of web interface)

Information about IIS can be found here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/iis/default.mspx) (it's for Server 2k3 but same concept in XP)
    Attached Files
    Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

My system specs are:

intel core 2 duo 6420 (2.16ghz, dual core, 4mb l2 cache, intel virtualization)
      nearly 2 gb of ram because i use a geforce 7300gs which uses 256 mb off the ram+256 of its own vram, 320 gb hdd, host win xp sp2, 550 watt psu, i use norton antivirus

I checked and the virtual machiness don't turn on at startup, i think it might be something with the Vmware services.

Thanks By the way
      Last edited by reiner1992; 5th September 2007, 21:58.

Comment

It is failry possible it is the VM Ware services starting up. If you wait a few minutes after the login screen appears does it login faster? It may be a patience thing like our AD can be at work once and a while... (the users have to wait a bit for the network to catchup so they can login properly...)

Another test would be to stop the VM Ware services from starting on windows startup to see if that lessens the laggy-ness...

BTW. Nice system specs. It shouldn't have an issue running running VM Ware server with 1 virtual machine.
        Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

My account logs in automatically as i am practically the one using this computer, so i wouldn't know if leaving it in the login screen will solve this problem.

Also, i have decided to try and reinstall VMware Server, can you please tell me which of the features/component i don't have to install (the thing that uses IIS and stuff that i don't need (I only need it for trying out different linux distros and increased security for browsing and downloading in a guest win xp))

Thanks
          Last edited by reiner1992; 6th September 2007, 08:49.

Comment

I have noticed issues similar to you'res with vmware server. I am not a master of server (im using ESX at work, vmserver at home) but I have done pretty well with the performance issues. ill give you my little list of things I did to improve my home performance.

my system specs:
            amd ath. 64x2 4400
            4 gigs corsair, 3GB swith .ini
            2x40 gigs for sys drive
            2x160 in raid 0 for virt machines
            512 nvidia pci-e 7800

I added the drives to help, which it did, but not significantly. I then decided to add the additional 40 gig. I took all my program files (including vmware) plus the swap space, my .iso's and moved them to the new drive.
            the virtual machines are located on the raided 160's. all disk space is alocated prior to operation of the virtual. the partitions are formated with a larger chunk size than windows is. I format the NTFS partition with a boot CD that allows me to specify the allocation size.

I also enabled the '3GB' switch in my boot.ini on my host box. I figured I didn't need the host OS anyways... I also slimmed out the winows componets on the host. if it is necessary it isn't there.

I installed an additional NIC specifically for the virtuals. I have 2 wired gig NICs total... I don't get net utilization over 40% so its probably overkill, but hell, why not.

after all that, my virtuals are much faster to boot than a eseries or xseries by a longshot, but they don't cost even 1% of one either.

I may just be talking out my ass here, but in my experience with my home pc's, intels just don't seem to perform well with vm. I even notice a difference with our server (which I play with) and the quad core opterons blades just seem quicker than the quad core xeons...

but like I said, I just like to see myself type. I'm being a post whore for lack of much free time away from a computer
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

This isn't very relevant to the topic, but does VMware support Intel Virtualization technology thingy.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by reiner1992 View Post
                This isn't very relevant to the topic, but does VMware support Intel Virtualization technology thingy.

Thanks
                a quote from intels website:

Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel VT) provides silicon–level support for CPU virtualization, enabling additional platform functionality and security. Intel has been shipping server and client processors with Intel VT since November 2005.
                as i understand it (and i may be wrong... maybe someone will correct me if i am) the only thing that the pacifica (AMD) and VT (intel) do is offer support for a 64 bit guest system... but it is not required. the intel i know does require the VT and EMT64 to run a 64 bit OS, but the specifics of their functions i am not to solid about.

you know what... just read this and suck out what knowledge you can and interpret the data yourself. i have a tendency to butcher specifics.
                http://www.networkcomputing.com/show...leID=172302134

Comment

I am not to sure on how VM Ware utilizes Pacifica (AMD) and VT (Intel) but I do know the the XEN Hypervisor (OSS/Cheaper version of ESX) Requires some for of processor Viritualization to run virtual Windows machines...

Also on a side note, I run VM Ware server on Linux text so I don't really see lag issues.
                  System Specs for the server as of last night before a blown PSU:
                  Dual PIII 1Ghz Processors
                  1 GB RAM
                  80GB, 160GB, 200GB Hard Drives, VM's Stored on the 200GB'er
                  Dual GIG Nics running at 100MBps... (No GIG Switch Yet )

Quite possilby upgrading to a Dual Opteron System but need to gather some Hardware Info for VM Ware
                  Last edited by nateh; 6th September 2007, 14:21.
                  Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

yes, XEN does put those VT 'thingys' to use, and it is necessary to run windows systems, but i havent played with XEN enough. it is a pretty cool product none-the-less.

Comment

Working...
                    X