Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM Ware Server Maximum Hardware

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has already been asked. Did a search with no results...

I am looking at building a new VM Ware Server for home usage. I would like to virtualize it and I am looking for a good virtual solution with out spending alot of money on software.

I currently run the free version of VM Ware on a Dual PIII Server with 1GB of RAM. Gets the job done but slowly. I am looking at upgrading to a Dual, Dual Core Opteron system with 8GB of RAM.

My question is, does the free version of VM Ware have a Hardware/Core Limit? I downloaded XEN Server and tested it on a server at work Dual, Intel Quads, and it found all 8 cores but only used one. Would I run into this same issue with VM Ware? I am unable to test on the Intel box since it is now in production...

I have check on Site and had no luck. Quite possibly overl00ked it too...

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. If more information is needed please ask.

Thanks,

Nate
    Last edited by nateh; 31st August 2007, 15:43. Reason: Changed Title
    Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Re: VM Ware Server Maximum Hardware

first things first...

what version are you planning on implementing? this will be crucial in determining the limitations of the hardware...

one limitation (depending on version) is the USB 1 only functionality of older versions. im not sure if the new 6 release supports USB 2.

if anything, i would get some more RAM. 1 gig is barely enough to get the ball rolling. i would suggest 4, 8 if you can afford it and your hardware supports it.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks for the reply James,

I am planning on running the Free Version of VMWare Server Currently 1.0.3 on a heavily stripped down version of Linux. Probably a CentOS Build.

As for hardware, USB is not an issue. All drives would be SATA.

As for the recommended memory upgrade. It currently has PC-133 Ram in it with 4 slots. I have 4 256's in it to equal 1GB. Personally I don't beleive it would be feasable to upgrade that old of a system. It's all IDE Based too ...

Thanks,

Nate

Addition: As of 9-5-07 @ 9:47PM CST the Power Supply DIED ... Hopefully nothing else went with it...
      Last edited by nateh; 6th September 2007, 16:18. Reason: Added Server Status
      Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

well, thats cool. your correct, that its probably not worth the money to upgrade pc133...

and for the most part, your right... you wont need much to run some linux ditros on a vm server with limited memory.

i had my laptop with 768M running 4 live knoppix distros at once. wasnt the fastest, but they all worked without a problem. Knoppix STD, Knoppix 5.0.1, Knoppix 5.1, and SUSELive 10.1. like a pro....

i think you can pull it off.

good luck man!

Comment

James,

Do you know if VM Ware Server 1.0.3 will handle 4 cores? I am looking at upgrading the entire system to handle more then just *nix Boxes. Would like to run some Windows boxes for testing.

This is what I am thinking of building:
          - Dual 2.0Ghz Dual-core Opteron Processors
          - 4GB RAM
          - 2 80Gb SATA Drives RAID1 for OS/System Stuff
          - 4 250GB SATA Drives RAID0+1 or 5 for VM's - Not sure which would be faster

Would the free version of VM Ware support 4 Cores?

Thanks,

Nate

Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

I have the following configuration running at work:

Dell Dimension 5150:
            • Pentium D 2.8 GHz (that's 2 cores at 2.8 GHz)
            • 1 GB RAM (will upgrade to 2 GB soon)
            • Ubuntu 7.04 as host
            • Windows Server 2003 as
            guest with 768 MB in the VM

The Ubuntu is only a host and does absolutely nothing except running VMware Server 1.0.3.
            The Windows Server is a Domain Controller for 600+ users and about 60 Windows XP computers. It also manages huge print queues for 3 large workgroup printers.
            It works without any problems.

Comment

Well, I'm gonna blow the dust off this tread with a bit more detail on what I was looking for.

I am looking at building a New VMWare Server for personal use at home. I would like to keep the software side if it as Open Source or Cheap as Possible. Currently I am looking at building a System with an AMD Barcelona Quad Core Processor with a down the road expansion of having to Barcelona Processors in it.

My guest ion is:
              1 - Will VMWare Support 4 and possilby 8 Physical CPU Cores? I know VMWare Server Free Edition limits Virtal Machines to 2 Virtual Cores but, will the actual install of VMWare on the Host Machine know how to handle 4-8 Cores? (Host OS will be some form of 64-bit *nix)

2 - In a post awhile ago, (http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Cheap) Bottom of Page 2, Jason mentioned something about VMWare having something coming down the pipe. Does anyone know of what this may have been?

3 - Lastly, I am thinking about adding a TV Tuner Card to the system. Does VMWare Server allow me to assign a tuner card to a specific Virtual Machine? This way the TV Software wouldn't interfere with other services running on the machine/virtuals.

Thanks for any information provided,

Nate

Last edited by nateh; 27th November 2007, 18:18. Reason: Added 3rd Question
              Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

Is the AMD Barcelona Quad Core Processor Virtual Server Aware? If not then it might be worth looking at an Intel CPU that is Virtual Aware. (Sorry don't use AMDs now so I have no idea what they can and can't handle)
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

there is increased support for virtualization on the AMD opteron barcelona chips...

VMWare, probably the leading provider of virtualization software, seems to be impressed with the implementation of VM features that Barcelona has been designed with.
                  AMD is hyping a new feature they call a Nested Page Table, which is supposed to increase performance by reducing the time it takes to access the hypervisor... by about 25%.

it also has a L3 cache (which they are calling the 'victim cache') which prevents things from being removed from the cache during demanding operations.

and also, pair this with the release of RHEL 5.1 that includes drivers for paravirtualized OSes. take a look at the performance reviews on RHMagzine:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/1...alized-guests/

but thats all from reading. i dont have one, but i would like to see for myself. doesnt sound all that bad.

Comment

They appear to be a good Virtualtizaion chip. With the Nested Paging, L3 Cache, and Power Planes (Which allows the chip to shut itself down when not at load)

I have seen some comparisons of AMD and Intel in the Virtualization world. I will see if I can find some of those doc's when I get some more time here at work.

Does anyone have any info on the 3 questions too?

Thanks,

Nate

Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

Working...
                    X