No announcement yet.

Snapshots -- local only?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapshots -- local only?

Hi all, this is my first post here, so please be nice! Not too much pointing and laughing, if you please.

I was asked to create new VMWare images for my company, with snapshots being used to mark progressing installations of software, i.e., Snapshot 1 has only Vista OS installed, Snapshot 2 has Vista OS plus Visual Studio 2005, Snapshot 3 has ---you get the idea.

Question is this:
    When I try to copy the entire folder to our server for company use, I am getting missing files errors when trying to open the VM image, though there are as many files in the server copy as on my local system.
    Works fine on my local machine, but I can see that I have snapshot images in my local copy. These files do not copy to the server successfully.
    What gives? I know this is a stupid question, but are the snapshots I have painstakingly created good on my machine only?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Snapshots -- local only?

Bueller? Bueller?

From what i have read, and it was very quickly today, when you take a snapshot it is only good for the time until you take the next snapshot.

I think it has something to do with the .vmdk file (This is could be wrong on though)

I need to do some major reasearch on this my self as we have just implemented our one and only VM today.

I'll get back to you when i've done more reading on the matter.

Thank you for your reply!
        I thought it was something with the .vmdk files as well, and copied those to the folder on the server with the original image.
        Also copied the .vmem and .vmsn files associated with the snapshots--this seemed to help, but errors still prevented me from opening the images.

Now, I think I may be on to something.
        Under Edit>Preferences on the image file on the server, I needed to edit the workspace to reflect the files' new location.
        Next, I went into VM>Settings to edit the working file directory, as well.
        Almost there, but not quite. Here is the message I received after completing the previous steps and attempting to start the VM.

VMware Workstation cannot open one of the virtual disks needed by this VM because it is larger than the maximum file size supported by the host file system. Some remote file systems do not support files larger than 2 GB, even though the file system on the server might.
        Cannot open the disk '\\<server name>\diskimages\VMware\Vista test\Windows Vista-000010.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
        Reason: The file is too large.

After talking with our IT guy, and him admonishing me for trying to run it from the server itself rather than copying the folder back to my system to test it out, I am now in the time-consuming process of copying it back to my local system to try it out. Will post later if I have success with this, or even it I don't!
        Last edited by help_me_please; 17th July 2007, 22:49. Reason: additional info