WAN Link Simulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAN Link Simulation

I'm trying to setup a VI3 lab that mirrors the setup of my production network. I'll use this lab to test changes and updates. I need to simulate T1 links between my sites. I haven't found a good way to do this. I setup several port groups that will represent a site. The port groups have VLAN ids and are connected to a vSwitch that is connected to a switch port that has trunking turned on. Connections between port groups are working correctly. My problem is I can't get traffic shaping between port groups to work correctly. If I turn on traffic shaping for the vSwitch or the port group it slows down traffic between every virtual system, not just between port groups.

Any suggestions on how I can do this would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wit's end on this.

Re: WAN Link Simulation

did you already check the link on the petri site?
    http://www.petri.com/traffic_shaping...esx_server.htm
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Yes I did check that page out. Actually it's what lead me to this forum. The article doesn't get into many specifics and it's for an older version of ESX. The author mentions that he's using RRAS and that he uses traffic shaping on that VM. It ESX 3.0.1 I haven't found a way to traffic shape a single machine, only port groups or vSwitches.

Comment

Did you solve this problem? Why not create a new vswitch with no servers in it, apply shaping to that, and route the traffic through that? If that doesn't work, put one RRAS box in the network.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcconne View Post
          Yes I did check that page out. Actually it's what lead me to this forum. The article doesn't get into many specifics and it's for an older version of ESX. The author mentions that he's using RRAS and that he uses traffic shaping on that VM. It ESX 3.0.1 I haven't found a way to traffic shape a single machine, only port groups or vSwitches.
          I'm the author of that article you read.

Yeah, VI3 threw us a lovely curveball when they removed traffic shaping from the VM NICs and moved that function to portgroups/virtual switches.

We can still do it, I still have it in my lab, it just requires more work and resources. But it's still more fun than ever.

In a nutshell:

1) Create two portgroups, each with your traffic shaping parameters.

2) Create a router VM. Use whatever choice of router software you want. I still use RRAS. But the minimum requirements are the VM must have 2 vNICs and the vNICs must be on different networks (subnets). Call them subnet A and subnet B. The two NICs will connect to the traffic shaped portgroups in step 1 above.

3) It is assumed you will already have at least 1 network host on subnet A. Go ahead and create a VM and assign it's vNIC to subnet B. IP it appropriately.

4) You now have 2 subnets, each populated with at least 1 net work host, separated by a latency invoked (traffic shaped) software router. When packets hop the router, they will be slowed down by whatever traffic shaping factor you applied to the portgroups.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Checkout WANEm, even got a VM Image for you to use

http://wanem.sourceforge.net/

seriously good stuff!

Comment

Working...
            X