Disabling Alarms for single VM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling Alarms for single VM

hi, I have a ESX server running serveral production machines and few test machines. I frequently reboot test machines and play with it. But every time a alarm notification is going to all systems team.Is there any way to disable alarm for single virtual machine?

Thanks!

Re: Disabling Alarms for single VM

I am wondering if this is possible or not

Comment

Hi charlsteve,

Unless I am misunderstanding your question, I believe that you can go into the Alarms section of the VM you are testing, edit the properties of each alarm for that Host system, and disable them.

Now, that works on any custom alarms that were created.

(graphics attached)

If they were created at another level, you would have to go to that level and modify them there. For example, there is the default "host connection state" alarm on the "hosts and clusters" section that would trigger a log entry when any VM is restarted. However, by default, it is't going to alert all members of the team so someone must have customized that.

I hope that helps. let me know
      Attached Files
      David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
      Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
      TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
      Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Hi,

I tried the procedure. But the "Enable This Alarm" checkbox is in disabled state. A note is appearing at the bottom of the window stating that "Alarm settings are read-only except when accessed through the item on which the alarm was first defined"

Thanks,
        Sitaram

Comment

HI Sitaram,

Yes, it is very likely that you have to go all the way to the top of the tree to disable the default alarm and then create the alarms only on the VM's that you do want the alarm on.

You can config alarms at every level of the virtual center tree. That is why I said this in the last email:
          If they were created at another level, you would have to go to that level and modify them there. For example, there is the default "host connection state" alarm on the "hosts and clusters" section that would trigger a log entry when any VM is restarted. However, by default, it is't going to alert all members of the team so someone must have customized that.
          Attached is a graphic showing where there are alarms at the highest level - hosts & clusters.

I hope that helps
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi, This helped me. I am able to create alerts at individual levels.

But I feel Vmware need some sort of improvement in this area. For example, alarms have to be created at ROOT and these alarms should propagate through the Vmware tree structure and every VM should have the option of disabling/enabling the alarm.

Is this possible by doing some tweaking or scripting?

Thanks a lot for your help daviddavis

Thanks,
            Sitaram

Comment

Hi Sitaram,

I agree, the multi-level alarms are very confusing and you would think that VMware could do something to improve it.

When it comes to scripting alarm configuration, I'll be honest, I have no idea...

I am glad I could help out.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X