Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Printing in VMWare

I need some help with this.

At teh moment we currently have a dedicated server that runs a Red Hat Linux RDBMS system for our financial people. This system has been in use now for over 7 years and is starting to cause us some small problems.

What i am aiming to do is transfer this machine onto a Windows Server 2003 host that will run a new version of RedHat Enterprise with the DB system running on it.

The only real problem i can envisiage is the printing from DB to Linux then from Linux via the Windows host.

So far i have create the Linux VM and added a new serial card that i will connect the printers to.

My question is this.

Can i just add the printers via Windows and they will work fine or do i need to add the relevant COM ports, configure said COM ports, to the VM and run it that way??

If you need some more info that i have invariably missed then please ask.

Re: Serial Printing in VMWare

Hi Wullie!

Vmware server can have Serial COM ports. However, I would avoid doing any kind of serial printing these days.

I am confused on where the print job is coming from.

Typically today, print jobs come from clients and clients, much of the time, are windows systems. That said, most clients typically print to a print server (pointing to network printers or to a directly attached printer) or clients print directly to network printers.

Maybe I missed something in the email but can you tell me where the print job is being printed from please?

Thanks,
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Originally posted by daviddavis View Post
      Hi Wullie!

Vmware server can have Serial COM ports. However, I would avoid doing any kind of serial printing these days.

I am confused on where the print job is coming from.

Typically today, print jobs come from clients and clients, much of the time, are windows systems. That said, most clients typically print to a print server (pointing to network printers or to a directly attached printer) or clients print directly to network printers.

Maybe I missed something in the email but can you tell me where the print job is being printed from please?

Thanks,
      Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

After some playing yesteday i managed to get VMWare to add the serial ports that windows has for the new card into it's system.

Unfortunately we need these serial printers connected to our old legacy system that i'm transferring across to a new VM.

The serial printing harks back to good ols Linux days and they are already on the server at teh moment. For as much seemless transfer for the users we need to keep the smae setup. Should hopefully only be for a couple of years as we are meant to be moving to SAP.

Comment

Hi Wullie,

Great! I am glad to hear that you got it working.

Yes, I well understand that legacy stuff. Over the years we have had plenty of things that we wished we could get rid of but, for some business reason, could not.

SAP seems to be the "hot new thing" these days. Ever job board I look had just seems to have job after job for SAP people. Anyway - I digress.

Thanks for posting in the VMware forum & All the Best to you,

Comment

David, I have been told I am a sap, maybe I should apply for the job.

Wullie, are these people looking at "updating" their software? As you know it is only going to get worse when Server 2008 is release and adoption is required due to 2003 reaching it's end of life cycle. That ain't too far away now and I would be guessing you will have a ton of testing to be done before a new app is brought online.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

AH-HA!

SAP!

You're killin' me here!

(I'm a sucker for corny jokes)

Take care Biggles-
            David

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              David, I have been told I am a sap, maybe I should apply for the job.

Wullie, are these people looking at "updating" their software? As you know it is only going to get worse when Server 2008 is release and adoption is required due to 2003 reaching it's end of life cycle. That ain't too far away now and I would be guessing you will have a ton of testing to be done before a new app is brought online.
              The software we are currently using will not be upgraded due to the arrival of SAP. It will however still be used for archival purposes.

Would you believe i still have an HP-UX model E55 9000 server here that is used regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post

Would you believe i still have an HP-UX model E55 9000 server here that is used regularly.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Tell me about it

Comment

Get a photo of you standing beside it with the days newspaper so you actually have proof.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Get a photo of you standing beside it with the days newspaper so you actually have proof.
                      I'll get a photo of it but i ain't standing next to it.

Comment

What, not enough room for both of the Incredible Bulks in the same frame?
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What, not enough room for both of the Incredible Bulks in the same frame?
                          You got it in one.

Comment

Working...
                          X