Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migrating RDMs from datastores & virtuals...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating RDMs from datastores & virtuals...

Let me set up the virtual scenario:

there is an virtual RHEL4 on one of the ESX 3 Blades i have. The ESX blade is not a member of any DRS or HA clustering.

the vRHEL has a standard vdisk for the OS, but I have added additional disks to accomadate for a database that will reside on this vRHEL... the dB will be an IDS.Informix dB, but that doesnt matter really...

the additional disks i added to the vRHEL are RDMs. this is what i want... but the problem is that i wanted the drives on the SATA enclosure. Instead i have taken up valuable fiber array space which i need now.

so the question... how do i migrate the RDMs from the fiber to the SATA drives without screwing up the virtual? i have a minimal amount of data on the RDMs, but some of them have been added as mount points and i want that intact.

i cannot find this info anywhere, but i distinctly remember reading about it and how to accomplish this. unfortunatly it wasnt distinct enuf for me to remember where...

jasonbouche i know you know this.. please help!

its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: Migrating RDMs from datastores & virtuals...

do you guys hate me or something?

so, im thinking to use the vmfkstool and copy the lun to the SATA, then mask the old luns and let linux figure it out? see, i only know enuf linux to do serious damage, so i hoping that i could use a knoppix .iso to do the disk switching so the name are duplicates...

but i know there is a better way to do this. im pretty decent at googing the poo outta stuff to get what i want, but im afraid that my terminology is flawed and that is why i can get an answer...

Comment

It should look something like this:

Code:
      vmkfstools -i "/vmfs/volumes/&friendly_name%/%vm_Name%/vmname.vmdk" -d rdm:/vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1:0:1:0 "/vmfs/volumes/&friendly_name%/%vm_Name%/vmname.vmdk"
      I've only done this with Windows VMs though

Comment

Hi James

How could we hate you? You are a valued member!

Did Mr Webexec solve this for you?

Thanks for the good question!
        David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
        Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
        TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
        Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

hah.. im valued! that rocks... but seriously, yes it did kinda work.

the thing is im new to informix/IDS so i had to do a reinstall of that piece... which is what i was trying to avoid, but alas!

the commands listed above do work, yes. thank you sir. i, however, will not get to see if they work on a production server in the manner in which i wanted them to work...

i wanted to see linux boot up and not know a thing was different, but since i have to do a reinstall, then i have to break the virtual volumes anyways, which means i wont get to see if it works on the fly like that... no worries!

thanks for the replies guys! much appriciated!

Comment

Awesome - thanks for the update!
            David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
            Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
            TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
            Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
            X