Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building DR Site on Vmware ESX

Hi Guys,

I need to know the requirements of building DR Site on top of Vmware ESX. My ideas are:

1. Have two or Three Physical Servers running ESX 2.5.x or 3.x
    2. Attached HP Storage MSA or EVA 1000 or 8000 to store the virtual images.
    3. Build all the required machines the same as in the production.
    4. Use Online Back Utility " AS per your recommendations" ? to capture daily Snap-shot of the Production servers and dump them in the ESX Storage.
    5. All the backup will over a WAN Link from the Primary site to the DR Site.

Any help? Suggestions? or Advice how this can be worked?

Is it possible to create all this to simulate it virtually and once it's success i can implement it physically?

Thanks for your help in advance.

BR,
    Habibalby
    ================================
    HND: Higher National Diploma in
    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
    MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
    Done:VMware DSA
    ================================[/COLOR]

Re: Building DR Site on Vmware ESX

Originally posted by habibalby View Post
    Hi Guys,

I need to know the requirements of building DR Site on top of Vmware ESX. My ideas are:

4. Use Online Back Utility " AS per your recommendations" ? to capture daily Snap-shot of the Production servers and dump them in the ESX Storage.

Any help? Suggestions? or Advice how this can be worked?

Is it possible to create all this to simulate it virtually and once it's success i can implement it physically?

Thanks for your help in advance.

BR,
    Habibalby
    Hi Habibalby. A lot of your DR/BCP solution will depend on your RTO (Recovery Time Objective). In other words, how long do you have to bring up the DR environment in a DR exercise whether simulated or real.

I will try to answer your questions one at a time here.

Go with ESX 3.0.1 (current). The best practice here is to be on the most current supported platform as well as consistent platforms (try not to mix and match 2.x and 3.x platforms - this will just lead to added time to your RTO)

MSA is the entry level SAN from HP that is retiring/end of life next year. It will be replaced by something else that is not yet on the market. EVA is the higher priced SAN that will perform better. EVA is a lot of horse power to be sitting idle at a DR site. Do you need that much horse power during your DR plan execution?

Build them when? At the time of disaster? This will greatly increase your RTO. With vmdk backups, replication, and other cool technologies, you're not taking advantage of a few of the fundamental key elements that VMware virtualization has to offer: encapsulation and portability. Investigate imaging, snapshots, and even live replication using 3rd party tools such as esxReplicator from Vizioncore. Snap the VMs and transport them to your DR site somehow. Rebuliding at DR from scrach is the old school method.

Now you're talking. Vizioncore's esxRanger does a great job of this. If your DR network is in any way connected to your production network, you'll have 2 issues to deal with: duplicate host names and duplicate IP addresses on the network. There are technical/political solutions to both.

Let me know what you think. I have to run but I'll check back later.
    Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Building DR Site on Vmware ESX

Morning jasonboche ,

First of all, very good thank you for your great explenation and advice. Honestly, I'm new to this Technology to be implemented, as I have never dealt with a project like this.

how long do you have to bring up the DR environment in a DR exercise whether simulated or real.
      As soon as one of the servers goes down for any such reason, espacially the Banking Application as it's very critical.

try not to mix and match 2.x and 3.x platforms - this will just lead to added time to your RTO
      I agree with you, will take the latest available version.

EVA is a lot of horse ower to be sitting idle at a DR site. Do you need that much horse power during your DR plan execution?
      What is your recommendation for this?

Build them when? At the time of disaster? This will greatly increase your RTO. With vmdk backups, replication, and other cool technologies, you're not taking advantage of a few of the fundamental key elements that VMware virtualization has to offer: encapsulation and portability. Investigate imaging, snapshots, and even live replication using 3rd party tools such as esxReplicator from Vizioncore. Snap the VMs and transport them to your DR site somehow. Rebuliding at DR from scrach is the old school method.
      Good you have pointed me to the correct method, since esxReplicator will take all the Snapshot and tansport them to the DR site, but what about the IP's, hostnames, ect ect? how this can be avoided "Correct it" ?

Now you're talking. Vizioncore's esxRanger does a great job of this. If your DR network is in any way connected to your production network, you'll have 2 issues to deal with: duplicate host names and duplicate IP addresses on the network. There are technical/political solutions to both.
      Yes, the DR site "Branch" is already connected by a WAN link "Frame Relay" What is the solution for the duplicate names and IP Addresses?

Will search read about this Technology and see how it works. But can this be implemented virtually and tested ?

Thanks once again for your great explination sir, i highly appreciated.

BR,
      Habibalby
      Last edited by habibalby; 25th June 2007, 07:00. Reason: Correcting the Quoting
      ================================
      HND: Higher National Diploma in
      Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
      MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
      Done:VMware DSA
      ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X