vm workstation or server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vm workstation or server

1) I want to install the sbs in a VM, the sbs will the DC, mail server and file-server.
    could be better install it on vmware workstation because the adavantages to backup with snapshots?

2) How can I configure the win xp to run the VM automatically after the reboot?

3) On this network will be only 10 workstations and one of them will be the VM host, so Ill run 2 VMS on this machine, sbs and xp. amd4600 and 2GB 667 its enough for the VMhost? the people will use only word outlook and IE

thanks

Re: vm workstation or server

Is this for a production environment?

Although, so i've heard, SBS will run in a VM but I dont think it's supported by MS. I would not recommend running SBS in a VM for a production environment.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you, some one here had already worked with SBS\VM in a production enviroment?

Comment

I wasn't saying that it wasn't possible, just that I would'nt personally do it.
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi nitoglycerine,

Wow, lots of good questions here....

1) I want to install the sbs in a VM, the sbs will the DC, mail server and file-server. Could be better install it on vmware workstation because the adavantages to backup with snapshots?

I think that Michael is right, running the ONLY DC inside a VM is a bit of a concern but if you can make it work, then great. I have run many DCs in VMs before but they were all "backup" to a DC that was always up and running o a physical host. Granted, its not performance I would be concerned with, it is more making sure that the virtual DC is up before all other machines and making sure that the physical host for the virtual DC doesn't need any services of the DC to get up and running.
          VMware server can do snapshots too but just a single snapshot. STILL, I would HIGHLY recommend Server because it is meant for a production env. like this - workstatino is not.

2) How can I configure the win xp to run the VM automatically after the reboot?

It is easy to set a machine to start automatically. I have attached a graphic.

3) On this network will be only 10 workstations and one of them will be the VM host, so Ill run 2 VMS on this machine, sbs and xp. amd4600 and 2GB 667 its enough for the VMhost? the people will use only word outlook and IE

I suspect this will be enough but, I would first load up SBS with all that you want to do and see how much it utilizes.

I hope that helps. Let us know what other questions you have along the way!
          Attached Files
          David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
          Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
          TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
          Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thank you David,

Ill fullfill your words using the VM server and configure the DNS and fix IP. Install an ups in the SBS host will ensure that is always on.

If I have more questions ill post

Comment

Originally posted by nitoglycerine View Post
              Thank you, some one here had already worked with SBS\VM in a production enviroment?
              Hi,
              The same as what other colleagues says SBS 2003 it's not recommended to be virtual as it requires lots of resources, such as RAM, CPU, Networks. On top of that, u won't utilize the ISA Server functionality if it's virtual.

If it's possible, use the Vmware ESX, only for the SBS and install the ISA Server on a separate machine that will be good specially if you are having a few users, not more that 80 ~ 100.

All the best,
              Habibalby
              ================================
              HND: Higher National Diploma in
              Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
              MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
              Done:VMware DSA
              ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
              X