No announcement yet.

VMNet Virtual Networks in Vista - annoying

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMNet Virtual Networks in Vista - annoying

Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to VMWare. I have Workstation 6 installed on my Vista machine. Because of the way Vista handles Network Connections, it shows all statuses under one icon. Therefore, when I'm not connected to the internet, which I'm usually not, it shows the icon with a yellow triangle. I don't like when that happens because it's really annoying.

Is there any way to have VMWare Workstation disable the 2 Virtual Network Adapters when the program is closed, and re-enable them when it opens?

Re: VMNet Virtual Networks in Vista - annoying

I wish I could help you, but I don't have Vista yet so I don't know precisely what you're referring to.

I can tell you that the two virtual network adapters created by hosted VMware products can be removed and added within the application. As far as automating that when the product opens and closes, hmmm.... maybe a very elaborate script. Chances are good though that you will need to deal with the annoyance for a while.

One proactive suggestion I have for you, visit the VMware community forums and submit feedback to VMware. They have a special forum there just for product feedback.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

tell vista to hide the icons as you can for any inactive icon

i have to manually disable the things after i finish or i have the same thing happen. my vista box is behind the network and isnt really externally connected and so i know its limited or no connectivity...

pretty annoying, but no quick fix im aware of.

whats funnier, is i have a virtual DHCP server, and when its on, it says im connected, but the minutes i shut down vmware, its back to the yellow box... so i virtually 'have limited or no connectivity' heehee.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...