Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I add virtual HD to VMware ?

Hi.
    As part of praticing at home,I want to configure a RAID1 system on my 2K3 server running on VMware.
    Does VMware got the option to add another HD to the system for this purpose?

Thanks.

Re: Can I add virtual HD to VMware ?

Yes. VMware supports either 60+ virtual hard drives. Would that be enough for your testing?
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
      Yes. VMware supports either 60+ virtual hard drives. Would that be enough for your testing?
      O.k thanks but from what menu? Can't find it .

Thanks

Comment

Edit the VM settings/configuration.
        Add hardware
        Hard disk
        etc...
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Thanks.
          Also...station must be off for this action,otherwise the option dimmed.

Comment

Originally posted by merav36 View Post
            Thanks.
            Also...station must be off for this action,otherwise the option dimmed.
            really? i dont have that problem. i can add a disk while the system is up and running. after adding it, go into disk management and you will see the new drive...

if your running older versions of ESX this isnt true... i have seen other methods to accomadate this... from the VMTN forums:

Mr T says:
            Before reading this or following the steps, please be aware this is a hack and although it worked for me in the lab, don't try it in production.

After I said you couldn't do this earlier, one of the guys I work with looked into doing this whilst the machine is suspended.

And.. It works.

If you suspend the virtual machine inside virtual center, look at the properties and you won't be able to add any new hardware.

However, go to the service console and follow these steps.

1) Place the VM in suspend mode. You can either do this from VC (easiest) or you can use vmware-cmd <config path> suspend
            2) Create a new disk using the following command - vmkfstools -c 4G <LUNname>:disk1.vmdk (replace LUNname with your vmfs volume name)
            3) Edit the vmx file for the virtual machine and add the new disk. eg disk1.vmdk
            4) Enter the following command to restart the agent vmware-ccagent -R
            5) Resume the VM from within VC
            6) Job done, go into VC and have a look at your VM's properties, the new disk is there.

I tested this on a windows 2003 server and it finds the disks inside the O/S without any issues
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

The OP said in the original post that VMware is being run on Windows 2003 which implies a hosted VMware product such as VMware Server or VMware Workstation.

Hot add drives are only supported in ESX 3.x right now.

Comment

my bad...

i just assume its ESX/GSX when i see VMWare.

ill be quite now.

Comment

GSX is a retired product that didn't support hot add drives either.

Comment

i know the answer mr. garrison!

GSX is a retired product that didn't support hot add drives either.

how would you like to suck my balls, mr garrison?

how do you manage to make me look stupidier than i am all the time? you rock...

Comment

What can I say, you make it easy. LOL, just kidding buddy Are we still friends? Or am I having frog legs for dinner?

Comment

Working...
                      X