has anyone tried v in a v?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone tried v in a v?

just for the sake of fun and bordom, what would happen if i tried to create a virtual on a xen box with fedora as the guest os on VM ware?

does the installing OS notice the lack of a real HAL or /dev /fstabs whatever? i cant be the first to try...

do you think it would let me? i wanna try and see what happens. and then i want to try to v2p the v on the vguest on the VM... j/k.

too much free time...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: has anyone tried v in a v?

Can't do it in VMware. The VMware hypervisor is self aware and will prevent it.

What you CAN do though is run VMware inside Microsoft virtualization, or vise versa.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Now I know pretty much zilch about virtualization so I'm wondering if this has any practical use? Could it maybe be a method used for learning VMware products or MSVS?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        Now I know pretty much zilch about virtualization so I'm wondering if this has any practical use? Could it maybe be a method used for learning VMware products or MSVS?
        There is one practical purpose that I wanted this for and that was to carry a portable VMware ESX Server installation wherever I go on my laptop.

So the laptop has to run VMware Workstation, VMware GSX Server, VMware Server, Player, ACE, whatever.

At that point, you can create a VM and install VMware ESX Server, however, a few things are going to happen which will cripple the ESX VM.

1) The ESX installation will not find a network adapter that is on the HCL and therefore will work with the VMKernel. At this point, in theory ESX may work, you couldn't network anything with it. Nonetheless, the ESX installation will continue and complete even though it found zilch for network adapters.

2) The ESX installation will not find any HCL compliant SCSI disk which is required for VMFS volumes and VMKernel swap. Nonetheless, the ESX installation will continue and complete successfully.

3) And the showstopper (as if the first two wouldn't cripple you enough), the Red Hat Linux 7.2 bootstrap attempts to load the VMKernel later on in the boot process. With normal HCL compliant hardware, this process completes successfully. However, when running ESX inside a VMware VM, at the time the VMKernel is being launched, it detects that it is running atop a VMware hypervisor and the VMKernel will not load.

So when you try to run ESX inside a VMware VM, what you end up with is a highly modified/stripped down version of Red Hat Linux 7.2. And that's it. Linux will work. Most Linux commands will still work. But no VMKernel commands will work since the VMKernel isn't loaded.

Ask me how I know this.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
          Ask me how I know this.
          Um... lemme guess.

So did you ever try running it in MS Virtual Server?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I wouldn't be caught dead...

But I know other people who have.

Comment

I have tried running ESX within the Free VM-Ware Server.
              The install went without a hitch but when it came to booting ESX I received a nice Kernel Panic and i just dropped it right their...

If someone were to install ESX inside of MS Virtual Server would they get the same errors you stated above or did the people you know that tried it succeed?

Nate
              Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by nateh View Post
                If someone were to install ESX inside of MS Virtual Server would they get the same errors you stated above or did the people you know that tried it succeed?

Nate
                Supposedly it succeeds, to what extent I'm not sure, or so I've heard from those who've tried it. The kernel loads but who knows if there are any NICs. I can't imagine performance would be real good but again this would be more for experimentation than anything.

Comment

Yup, Jason is right....

I also tried running ESX inside VMware with no luck.

It will install and the service console will work but the vmkernel won't function because it needs real hardware.

I asked a VMware instructor about this and researched on the vmware forums but there does not appear to be a way to do this.

The only portable ESX solution I can see would be VPN back to a place where you have an ESX server and run the VI client.

ESX will actually run on just about any machine with an IDE or SCSI disk (NOT SATA). It won't be supported of course, but it will run.

Best of luck to you,
                  David
                  David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
                  Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
                  TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
                  Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
                  X