What does ESX stand for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does ESX stand for?

VMware ESX Server is a powerful enterprise class product. But what does the acronym ESX mean? It has had many people guessing what it stands for. Even after revealing the answer, it still may leave some wondering.

Well here we go... drum roll please...

ESX stands for Elastic Sky X

Was it all that you thought it would be?

By the way, GSX, a retired product replaced by VMware Server, was the acronym for Ground Storm X
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Re: What does ESX stand for?

And here I thought it was me being dyslexic.

Where and why do they make up wank names that have absolutely no relation to the product?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      And here I thought it was me being dyslexic.

Where and why do they make up wank names that have absolutely no relation to the product?
      As the story goes, the founders of the product coined the names when they were students (hippies) at Berkley. You figure out the rest.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

ESX = Elastic Sky, GSX = Ground Storm

they were the names used during development of the product. i dont think they still stick that acronym out there, cause my packing list includes no licenses for Elastic Sky Server... and for 1.4 million dollars they would tell me what the acronym stands for.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
        X