VI3 ports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VI3 ports

There are several key TCP ports that VMware Virtual Infrastructure 3 uses. In a firewalled environment, it is important to know which ports must be open in order for all of the VI3 components to work properly.

Attached is a chart that explains it all very clearly. I picked up this diagram off a blog site about a week ago. Unfortunately I do not remember which one so I cannot provide credit to the author.

ps. For VCP certification candidates, this would be good study material to know going into the exam room. For those who are familiar with the ESX 2.x and VirtualCenter 1.x environment, you will notice one port that is no longer used: 905 (which was used for Virtual Center Client to Virtual Center Server communication). This has been replaced by port 902 in VI3.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jasonboche; 14th April 2007, 23:05.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Re: VI3 ports

nice to know, considering im getting ready to implement vmotion over a WAN link w/firewalls at both ends...

good call!

its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      nice to know, considering im getting ready to implement vmotion over a WAN link w/firewalls at both ends...

good call!

VMotioning over a WAN link? What size circuit? Hopefully Gigabit.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

well, its a two link WAN between the sites. there is a fiber connection between here and the DR location (its across the city metro ring) and a 20 meg (f/d) wireless link on a private ring. the metro ring is all data traffic, while the wireless are capable of dishing internet pages in teh even of failover...

(did i mention its a scripted vmotion? sucks, but couldnt keep subnets intact between all 6 satalite offices...)

add that to the dmarks in place with the bundled T-1 connection and we're actually looking ok. and redundant, imagine that.

ive always had to figure though, that if florida was under water it wouldnt really matter anyways...

long story short (70%), yes just short of a gig connection. id have to to have 36 servers fail over without waitin 12 hours, heehee....

Comment

well, its a two link WAN between the sites. there is a fiber connection between here and the DR location (its across the city metro ring) and a 20 meg (f/d) wireless link on a private ring. the metro ring is all data traffic, while the wireless are capable of dishing internet pages in teh even of failover...

(did i mention its a scripted vmotion? sucks, but couldnt keep subnets intact between all 6 satalite offices...)

add that to the dmarks in place with the bundled T-1 connection and we're actually looking ok. and redundant, imagine that.

ive always had to figure though, that if florida was under water it wouldnt really matter anyways...

long story short (70%), yes just short of a gig connection. id have to to have 36 servers fail over without waitin 12 hours, heehee....
          Ok, well my observation point is that VMotion is designed to and will copy all memory pages from one server to another in a matter of seconds. If your VM has 768MB RAM, 768+MB of data will be copied over the VMotion portgroup. This is why VMotion needs Gb networking.

My next observation is that if you are VMotioning, that means you have shared storage, whether SAN, iSCSI, or NAS, that is common between sites across the city. Is this really what you have? I'm questioning that you are VMotioning versus cold migration. Big difference.

Comment

exactly...

i have a pair of Blade centers. dual socket, dual core opterons with 8 gigs of DDR II attached to a DS-4700 with two DAEs: 1 fiber and one SATA, for a total of 9 terabytes.
            each Management module (2, A and B) and backplane (10 gig backplane, btw ) ) are connected a 9216i...

and lets just get crazy as well.. i also have a 1 terabyte Dell Blade rack with a fiber SANs as well. the only real difference is the SAN switch, which is a set of Brocade 4600s...

and whats more, is that fabric is merged, so that both blade conters can see both sides of disks. this allows virtuals to take over standalone servers in the event of a failover. using the P2V assistant, working copies of standalones are ready to be brought online using Vmotion...

the DAEs are the same on the DR site. the entire system is mirrored at the DR site, so in the event were flooded, we just flip the switch and the operation comes up over there.

its about 3 million dollars of hardware altogether. im a lucky mofo... i think i have the hardware leftover to be the largest member of SETI if i wanted to.

IBM assures me that i should be able to run 80 web servers on 1 blade....

im taking the pepsi challange.

Comment

exactly...

While that is well within the parameters of virtual CPUs supported in VMware ESX (assuming all VMs are single vCPU), it's somewhat of a stretch, especially if some or all these web servers are anything but idle.

How many CPU cores and how much RAM do those blades have?

Nonetheless, you're a lucky person to have all that hardware at your fingertips. With that much money, a server here or there liberated to your basement probably wouldn't be noticed.

Comment

exactly...

i have a pair of Blade centers. dual socket, dual core opterons with 8 gigs of DDR II attached to a DS-4700 with two DAEs: 1 fiber and one SATA, for a total of 9 terabytes.
                each Management module (2, A and B) and backplane (10 gig backplane, btw ) ) are connected a 9216i...

and lets just get crazy as well.. i also have a 1 terabyte Dell Blade rack with a fiber SANs as well. the only real difference is the SAN switch, which is a set of Brocade 4600s...

and whats more, is that fabric is merged, so that both blade conters can see both sides of disks. this allows virtuals to take over standalone servers in the event of a failover. using the P2V assistant, working copies of standalones are ready to be brought online using Vmotion...

the DAEs are the same on the DR site. the entire system is mirrored at the DR site, so in the event were flooded, we just flip the switch and the operation comes up over there.

its about 3 million dollars of hardware altogether. im a lucky mofo... i think i have the hardware leftover to be the largest member of SETI if i wanted to.

im taking the pepsi challange.
                What's it like playing doom?

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

d00d!

FEAR runs sick, but im somewhat limited by the mobile ATI x700 VE adapter...

im gonna run a stress test just for fun, m80arm. hehehe...

how many cores. what a fun question. depends on the vendor you ask..

i guess they technically are considered an 8 way processor. i have the ability to assign 8 procs to a virtual (never) but i limit them to 2.

your correct. i wouldnt try 80 on one, but i know the SQL virtual handled a simulated SQL 2005 connection of 5000 users with a query and transaction every 250ms, so i got some beef.

one web app relys on the SQL, so its performance is relative to SQL load as well, but if the servers were just serving a static page, it could handle 50 im sure. bandwidth is the premium here...

Nonetheless, you're a lucky person to have all that hardware at your fingertips. With that much money, a server here or there liberated to your basement probably wouldn't be noticed
                  no doubt. really lucky...
                  i cant find that smiley that whistles and rolls his eyes around... but it has made for a freakin massive FTP. i use the old xSeries for fun now. i do have a dedicated powersedge 1855 with 8 gigs DDR as a LAN server for several office games...

and while we dont have basements in florida, i do have a nice quiver of boxes in the flat. wa-hoo!

Comment

Working...
                  X