Multiple networks using VMServer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple networks using VMServer

Let me start by saying that I am new to server virtualization. Currently we have a company that has one server to provide for three seperate companies. Each company currently share all resources but we are now in a situation where it will benefit every company to break out into separate networks. Using VMServer, is it possible to create virtual DC's so that each company looks like it is logging into it's own domain? Everything I am reading points to virtualizing servers within the same domain. I am about to set up a test network to try this but am looking for advice on how to best do it.

Thank you in advance.

-Jason

Re: Multiple networks using VMServer

yes.

ill go so far as to say that anything you can do on a physical host you can do in a virtual.

people will say things like "well, microsoft doesnt support virtualization of an exchange server"...

this is correct, but it doesnt mean it wont work. they just dont support that configuration...

we have a test domain that resides inhouse, and it doesnt interfere with anything, so that would be like what youre describing. the only difference is i dont have an external IP on the internal test domain. i can simulate mail flow from inside, using my internal domain as an external one if that makes sense.

so yes...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Multiple networks using VMServer

Originally posted by JMLucas View Post
      Let me start by saying that I am new to server virtualization. Currently we have a company that has one server to provide for three seperate companies. Each company currently share all resources but we are now in a situation where it will benefit every company to break out into separate networks. Using VMServer, is it possible to create virtual DC's so that each company looks like it is logging into it's own domain? Everything I am reading points to virtualizing servers within the same domain. I am about to set up a test network to try this but am looking for advice on how to best do it.

Thank you in advance.

-Jason
      If you only wanted to give the appearance of logging into a different server, you could always add UPN suffixes to your current domain and assign them to the 3 different types of users. You wouldn't need 3 separate domain controllers to do this. It is the Microsoft way to use the least amount of forests and domains possible, rather take advantage of Active Directory OUs (Organizational Units)

ie.
      [email protected]
      [email protected]
      [email protected]
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
      X