Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Server needs serial number ??

Hi all.
    I am using the free version of VMWare Server 1.0.2 on an old server, with only 2GB memory. I did a lot of testing with it, including VMWare Converter ( ) and worked wonderful.
    I installed VMWare Server 1.0.2 on a new server, 4GB RAM and two 2.8GHz Dual-Core CPUs, to test how many machines I will be able to run simultaneously. I copied one of the existing machines to the new server, clicked File -> Open and it was added to the console.
    But when I try to run the machine, I get a message stating that I need a serial number to unlock the VMWare Server version. How come it worked OK so far?
    Is it because of the 2003 Server SP2 ?
    I am attaching a screenshot of the Help -> About info window.

TIA.
    Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:29.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Re: VMWare Server needs serial number ??

Silly question, but is there a limit on the number of processors that the free version allows?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well, I looked for something like this. Neither the server datasheet, nor the FAQs have something to say about it...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Where is Jason Boche when you need him.........OH, here he is. Jason Boche

Might be worthwhile posting here to see if they have a solution to this quirk. http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa (Don't forget to leave a link back here in your signature )
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Pretty sure you have to register on the vmware server site and they will email you a free serial number:

Register for your free serial number(s).
          http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

10nx, guys.
            I registered and got myself some tens of SNs... I still don't understand how I did the first installation without problems, and now it asks for serials. I mean, it's the same downloaded file. Not like it's a new build...
            Well, never mind.
            Thanks for the help.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              10nx, guys.
              I registered and got myself some tens of SNs... I still don't understand how I did the first installation without problems, and now it asks for serials. I mean, it's the same downloaded file. Not like it's a new build...
              Well, never mind.
              Thanks for the help.
              I wouldn't guarantee that. From time to time, VMwas has been known to publish the wrong release file on their website. One time they debuted a new product that had just come out of beta, except the gold version they put up on their website was a beta that had already time bomb expired. Tons of people downloaded it before VMware got a chance to pull it and put up the correct version. Minor embarassment, but an embarassment nonetheless.

Jas
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

What I meant was that it was the same installation, that first time worked OK and second time it asked for SNs. It's not that I downloaded twice.
                Anyway, it works great. I manged to convert a number of machines already. Except one server that makes troubles, all went perfect.
                10nx for your input.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X